The sled that changed my life | Teen Ink

The sled that changed my life

By Waterbottle BRONZE, Castle Rock, Colorado
Waterbottle BRONZE, Castle Rock, Colorado

It was Christmas eve. We were enjoying a roasted duck. There were no presents under the tree because my parents still think I believe in Santa. The dinner table was quiet until my Dad broke the silence. “You guys excited for Santa to come by,” he asked. He knew that I didn't believe in Santa, he just didn’t like the silence.  “We both know he’s not real, you might as well just put the presents under the tree, so it looks better” I said. My mom giggled, she said “what would I have done without you guys.” Everybody has a smile on their faces. We are all enjoying the duck with some BBQ sauce, mmmmm. Well we finally finish the duck and off to bed we were. Before we finished we went around and said all we were thankful for. “I am thankful for the cool toy’s I’m going to get tomorrow.” My sister said something about her Barbie dolls and pink stuff. I wasn’t really paying attention to what my parents were thankful for. Well it was time for bed and I was fully energized because I was so excited for all the gifts and presents tomorrow. My dad said that we can’t open our presents until 7:30. He just wanted to make Christmas worst, but as long as we get presents everything is great. Thing is that I already know what my present is, a sled. It’s been laying in our garage for a few months now. My parents are also really bad at hiding stuff. Last year when we went sledding, my mom was always with us because rumor has it that once way back in the day there was a child. Well first let me tell you that the pond in our front yard is in kind of  ditch. Saying that when we go into our back yard, down the hill is the pond. Know they say that the kid was sledding by himself and he went on the pond. Crack crack and he was gone.  They say that his corps comes up on Halloween every year. I highly doubt that that is true.   I’m laying in bed, so excited for the presents I am gonna get tomorrow.

It is seven in the morning. I can’t believe that I actually was able to sleep last night. I run to my sisters room and scream “ it’s Christmas it's Christmas” . Joy comes to her face. We both run downstairs. We see a beautiful tree with tons of boxes. The biggest one had my name on it. I tear it open dying to see what’s inside, well technically I already had a good guess of what it was. Exactly what I expected. Only problem with that was that the sun has melted away all the snow. I guess It’s probably gonna be another week before I can try this beautiful thing. It has a steering wheel and brakes and lights. This is like the Ferrari of sleds. Every child in the neighborhood will ask to ride it. I love my sled so much that I don’t even care about the others. But there might also be other cool toys in there. Next I see a tiny little box, probably a video game or something. FIFA 15! This is everybody’s favorite game and now I got the newest version that came out only a week or two ago. This is problem the best Christmas in my life. My sister got an American Girl doll. Those things sell for like 100 buck. I don’t get it, it’s basically a plastic child that you pay a lot for.  My parents finally come down and open up their presents. You know, just the usual adult stuff. Clothes I don’t see what’s so great about that. Hundred dollar perfume, I don’t smell a difference between a 10 dollar perfume and that. I think it’s just a waste of money. They tell us we can’t have a 25 cent gumball at the store and now they go out and buy 100 dollar perfume. I don’t get adults. Everybody is happy, my mom asks us if we were satisfied with Santa claus this year “This is the best Christmas ever” my sister screams.  Everybody laughs. The day pases on like usual me playing fifa 15 for 10 hours straight, my sister abusing her dolls. While I am laying in bed I see the snowflakes start to cover the ground outside. Right now I can only imagine how fast my sled will be going outside. Zooming down the hill at 20 mph turning side to side, drifting.

It is six in the morning. My excitement probably woke me up so early. Today laying in bed is not an option. I rush to my window and look out. roughly about a foot or two of snow. Without any hesitation I pop on my snow gear. I rush into the garage grab my sled and plop it on the ground. Like I pilot I run through the checklist, “ brakes, check steering, check.” After I did my little thing I wiggle a bit and the sled zooms down the hill. Just focusing on steering side to side I forget about the pond in front of me. Suddenly it clicks “, oh snap.” I pull on the brakes but it was too late. I slide on to the thin ice. The sled  must be distributing my weight. But oh how wrong I was. Crack Crack.