Alone | Teen Ink

Alone

December 29, 2008
By Anonymous

Okay, so let’s see. Freakishly fast and painful heart beat, check. Chills up and down my spine, check. Short breaths and heartbreakingly sore throat, check. Realizing that I was right when I thought that it was gonna hurt insanely bad when it all sank in, priceless. I dropped to my knees and gasped at the pain that shot through them. I was full out hyperventilating as I thrust my hands into my hair. I looked down as nothing but black dripped from my face. The word ‘alone’ just kept screaming itself in my head and made me even more hysterical. I stared at the tombstones. Wait, when did everything start spinning? I couldn’t find it in me to hold myself up anymore, so I fell onto my side with what sounded like a huge crash in my head.

I was in the fetal position, my knees clasped to my chest with my shivering arms. My grip loosened more and more as my knees, along with everything else around me, started to slip away. Something cold and wet plopped on my cheek. I struggled to turn my head towards the clouds. They were darker now. Another drop fell, following the first and another after that one and another one after that. I smiled. The sun was almost completely hidden now.

That rain came after all. Thanks.

This was the last thing that I saw before everything went black and surprisingly warm.

So…is there supposed to be some kind of light now? Am I supposed to see pearly gates? Oh gosh! What if I’m going the other way? There’s definitely a lot of bouncing. It’s kind of wet too. I cracked my eye open and moaned from the pain of it to see a tuxedo and huge arms around me. Mike. He looked down at me with glassy eyes and held me closer to him. God he was so warm! I watched his lips move. I tried to focus so that I could actually listen and comprehend.

“Everything’s okay. We’re g”- Oh, headache! Blackout…again, oh joy. This blackout had to have been longer than the last one. Where was I anyway? Ew, beeping. I hate beeping. Okay, I usually hate beeping. Hmm, now where would I be where there would be beeping?
“I think she’s waking up.”
Who was that? Something stuck me in my arm. I sat up and my eyes flew open.
“OW, Son of a b-”
Woo, I avoided a serious bullet there. Nana was standing in front of me and looking at me as if she was waiting for me to finish the phrase. I looked around the room. Oh great, I was in a hospital and now there was blood pouring from my arm. Well, that’s certainly not a good thing it kinda stings a bit too. The doctor was staring at me in shock. I guess she didn’t expect for me to jump up like that. I sighed.
“She’s losing a lot of blood!”
“Why am I losing a lot of blood?” I asked. Ha, pretty lights. They wiped my arm and put a squishy thing on it. Ok, ouch! My arm was really starting to burn. I looked at and the red line that was on it.
“Relax Lala. Everything’s fine. You just scared the doc while she was trying to put an IV in you.”
Mike was standing beside me away from my blood waterfall. He really looked worried. This could be a problem. Mike never looked worried. That’s kinda funny.
“Oh, is that all?” I asked slightly sarcastically. That would explain the bloody line. She must’ve sent the needle up my arm. I might just have to sue after this one. Another doctor came in and flashed a light in my eyes. It was like they were trying to send me on a rampage. I certainly would’ve if the ground would stop swirling around so gosh darn much.
“We hit a vein! It won’t stop!”
I swear, if I die from this, I’m gonna be so pissed. That would be quite funny irony though if you think about it. Of course, I couldn’t exactly laugh about it at the moment. Crap! Why was I even here? I would’ve been fine if they wouldn’t have sliced my stuoid vein. I didn’t need an IV anyway. All I did was pass out. It’s not like I haven’t done it before. Heck, I’ve been doing it all week.

“Her pupils are dilated.” The other doctor said nervously. I turned back over to Mike. Was he crying?


“Whatsamatter?” I mumbled. Oooo, Mumble! Happy feet! I love Mumble. He was so cute.
“H-happy feet.” I whispered. I confused him. Ha!
“What?” he asked.
“She’s delirious. She’s losing way too much blood!”
Excuse you! I’m far from delirious. You just don’t know how my mind works, doc.
Nana sat down on the end of my bed. The blanket was really red. Did I do that? Ha, Family Matters. Steve Urkel. She was crying too. She was crying a lot harder than Mike was though. What was with all the tears? My eyes started to flicker.
“We’re losing her!”
Those doctors were really depressing me. Mike put his forehead to mine. Had I really been laying down this whole time? This pillow was pretty soft. Hm, interesting.
“I love you, alright? I don’t want you to ever forget that. You’re going to be fine.”
It was starting to dawn on me. They thought that I was dying. I am dying. Surely they have some kind of procedure for slitting patient’s veins.
Stay awake! Stay awake! I was really starting to think that if I passed out this time that I wouldn’t wake up like I did all the other times. My name was being screamed through the room. It was so loud! It was so loud in fact that it could only have been Nana. My eyes were still flickering like I had some kind of nervous twitch or something. She kept screaming my name.
I guess we all knew how this was going to end, but what else can you say during something like this but, "Bye babe."

The author's comments:
This is an excerpt from a story that I'm working on and it's been edited for this so sorry if it's bad but hopefully it's not too terrible so I hope that you like it.