Crossing the Bridge | Teen Ink

Crossing the Bridge

December 2, 2014
By Lillyloo SILVER, Needham, Massachusetts
Lillyloo SILVER, Needham, Massachusetts
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Kristy was looking out across a bridge to an island about the size of her school thinking I am never going to do this. It was a windy day and she was in Ireland on a trip to Europe with her family, and she was about to cross an old classic rope bridge. Kristy was terrified for two reasons. One was that she was not a height lover (the bridge was 30 feet above the water), two there were big sharp rocks protruding out of the water. One more thing -the bridge was swaying. “Alright Kristy” said her mom “your turn” She tentatively placed one foot on the first board. then the next foot on the second one. she kept walking slowly until about ?  of the way through the bridge wobbled because of the wind. Kristy fastened her grip on the ropes to steady herself, and kept moving even though she wanted to turn back and wait for her family. About halfway through the bridge was swaying so much, Kristy almost went horizontal and her sister shouted “Be careful Kristy!” Kristy was so scared and so tired (she had gotten up early that morning) that she started to hyperventilate. She kept moving but the pain in her chest had started to settle in. Her encouraging mother started shouting “C’mon on Kristy you're ¾ of the way through it!” Yeah, she thought i can do this. Finally after 10 long minutes she was safe and on hard solid ground. She was so relieved, and didn’t mind going back as much because she had done it once, and  knew that she could do it again.


The author's comments:

This is Based off of one of my own personal experiences.