Going away party | Teen Ink

Going away party

By Elizabeth Katz SILVER, Paducah, Kentucky
Elizabeth Katz SILVER, Paducah, Kentucky

“God, I’m going to miss you so much.”
     “Yeah, I’m going to miss you, too.”
     “No, but I’m really going to miss you.  You get to go off on this amazing adventure and basically start over and make new friends, and you could even find another girl-well you probably will find another girl- I don’t know.  It’s just that I have to stay here, without you, and that really freaking sucks.”
     “I’m not going to find another girl.”
     “Well, still, you will probably forget about me.”
     “I’m not going to forget about you.”
     “Look, I’m just trying to say that I- I think I might- well, uh, you are just really important to me.  I care about you more than anything.”
     “I care about you, too.”
     “Do you?”
     “Yeah, of course I do. But you know I’m not going to be able to talk to you that often.  I’m going to be super stressed out about classes and stuff.”
     “Well yeah, I know.  But can’t we just try to keep whatever this is?  I know, I know, it usually doesn’t work out, but, I don’t know, I just, I think we could.  You’re the first person I’ve ever felt this strongly about.  I don’t want to lose you.”
     “You aren’t going to lose me.  But long-distance is really, really hard.  And I care about you, I do; it’s just, I don’t know if we can make…Look, let’s just not worry about it right now.”
     “Um, okay. Well, what do you want to do now? We could sneak away for a little bit?  Go upstairs maybe?
     “I should go mingle; I’m being rude to my guests.  Would you start cutting the cake?”
     “Oh, uh, sure. So I’ll just talk to you later?”
     “Yeah, yeah, sure. Just text me later.”
     “Oh, okay. Bye, babe.”