Scars | Teen Ink

Scars

November 17, 2014
By Carly_Elizabeth PLATINUM, Othello, Washington
Carly_Elizabeth PLATINUM, Othello, Washington
39 articles 0 photos 131 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."
Roald Dahl


“Mommy?”
“Hm?”
“What are these lines on your arms?”
“They’re scars, sweetie.”
“Scars? From what?”
“Mommy was really sad a long time ago.”
“Why were you sad?”
“Some people were mean to me and I didn’t like that very much.”
“So they gave you scars?”
“Yes.”
“Well that’s not nice.”
“No it’s not. So that’s why you are always nice to people even if they’re not nice to you. They might be really sad and all they need is someone to be nice to them.”
“I won’t be mean to people, mommy. I’ll be nice and not mean, I promise. I won’t give anyone scars.”
“Good girl.”

“Are you still sad now, mommy?”
“Sometimes I am, sweetheart, but that’s what it means to be human. Sometimes you get sad and that’s okay. I’m happy now a lot of the time because I have you, princess.”
“But mommy, will I get scars when I’m sad?”
“No you won’t. Wanna know how I know?”
“Hm?”
“Because you are a strong little girl. When you get down, you jump right back up again. But sometimes you can’t get back up, and when you do, you have people who can help you. Mommy got scars when I was sad because I didn’t think I had anyone to talk to, but I did. I had daddy and Auntie Brenda and Uncle Benn. Who do you have to talk to?”
“Hmm… You!”
“Yes, my sweet. And you also have daddy, Auntie Brenda, and Uncle Benn too. If you’re sad and you just can’t seem to get back up, talk to someone. They can help you get back up.”
“And I won’t get scars?”
“I sure hope not, baby. I hope not.”