My brothers keeper | Teen Ink

My brothers keeper

By HeidiM BRONZE, Council Bluffs, Iowa
HeidiM BRONZE, Council Bluffs, Iowa

As I watch my brother walk into the dark I see him fading away slowing. He’s a bomb waiting to explode. I think to myself everyday I can’t let him walk any farther , but I don’t know what to do to help him. He's not the same person anymore. He's not the sweet loving little boy who would do anything for anyone. I know he has grown up but into the person he was raised to be. I don’t want to leave him sitting there drowning in the dust. I want to sweep him up on his two feet. I want him to be on honor like he used to be. I want to see graduate before me. I want to hear everyone congratulated him for getting into a good college.  I  want to look up to him and say he made it through high school and so can.
      It’s hard to look him in his red eyes and know I can’t look up to him! A 16 year old boy shouldn’t be doing drugs because he’s stressed out. He should be worrying about school and graduate and getting that job he's always wanted. My brother is my best friend. I feel like I lose more of him each in everyday. I will alway love him for who he is , but this is not who is. Everyday I see that he high I feel like someone just hit me in my heart with a hammer.
      When he picked up that knife and said he was going to stab me because I change the song on the radio I know he wasn’t the same person. When I picked up the phone and called my step-dad and he had to leave work to talk to my brother  and my brother flipped out on him and ran away I knew he was not okay because they were like best friends. When he moved in with my dad and told me, he hated me it felt like someone just tore my heart out my chest. Me and my brother always been close and until this day we are. He has not freak out o me sents that day and I hope he doesn’t get back to that point. 
       As I walk into the light I will try to pull him out of the dark. I try and make him see what he’s doing to himself and his family. At the same time I will not lose myself. I will hold myself together and at the same time still be my brothers’ keeper.