Baseball Without Anxiety | Teen Ink

Baseball Without Anxiety

November 18, 2014
By rgb20 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
rgb20 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

             “Try out for the team” Bryan whispered.
“Be quiet” girls in math said.
“I will tell you after school why I am not going to tryout” Andy said.
The day went on while Andy was waiting to tell Bryan why not. Andy was in his last class, English. Fifteen minutes left in the day. I wondered what I was going to tell him. He is my best friend I can’t lie to him, I thought.
As he thought about it he heard Mrs.Markle say “Andy it’s time to go".
As I walked out of the room Bryan was waiting for me. I went to my locker grabbed all of my homework and started walking out of school with Bryan.
"I can't try out because I have anxiety" I explained. I knew right away that Bryan would not know what that is.
"What is that?" Bryan asked.
"It is where you get nervous about little things” I said.
”Just try to tryout and if you make it, you don’t have to play” Bryan told Me.
“Ok” I said sadly.
“Mom where are my old pants” I said.
“Right here honey” Mom replied.
As I walked down the steps I heard the washer running.
I looked at mom and she said  “lets go to tryouts".
I got out of the car grabbed my bag and ran to Bryan so we could play catch.
“Bryan want to play catch?” “My mom is staying here so I don’t get nervous” I exclaimed.
“Good, try hard".
As Bryan and I ended playing catch the coach called my name first". “Andy Lang” Coach Ryan said.
I ran over to him and he asked me “Do you pitch?". “No Coach I catch” I explained.
”Brian Mchenry can you come pitch?"
Bryan ran to the mound and I got down in my stance. He fired a pitch right in the dirt and I blocked it with my chest protector. I usually do good if I block the first pitch of the day. That happened, no ball went behind me and at the end of the tryout I over heard the coach say I am offering Andy Lang.
“ Mom I heard the coach say I made the team” I told her.
“Great, Mrs. Mchenry told me that you will get a call from Mr. Lawrence”.
“What, you mean AJ Lawrence the Braves manager” I screamed.
“Yes” mom said.
I thought is this my chance to finally meet the Braves Manager. I texted Bryan about what I just heard. I got home and sat right next to the phone. In a matter of 20 minutes I got a call from the Atlanta Braves.
When I said hello I heard the smooth and raspy voice of AJ “Hello” AJ said.
“Would you like to play for the Wankane Blue Jays?” he asked.
The rush through my head of what is this. “ Wait what that is not the team I tried out for”  I said loudly.
“I know, it is the grade up but only two people get that chance” AJ explained.
  “Who are the two people” I said.
As I think what if it is Bryan and I we would be together on the same team. “Brian Mchenry and you” AJ said.
“You got yourself a deal” I replied.
“Bryan did you get a call from AJ last night” I said.
“No” Bryan said sadly. I thought why wouldn’t AJ call him but he told me he made the team.
“ Well I got good news” I said. I thought I should maybe not tell Bryan because he might want to talk to AJ too.
“What” Bryan yelled.
“Me and You made the 8th grade team” I explained.
“REALLY” Bryan screamed.
The bell rang and I was happy to go. The one thing that I wish I didn't have to do is go to the doctor. As I get in the car I hear bye Andy from the girls. I got in the car and mom said “ You got a girlfriend”.
“No don’t talk to me” I said.
It was a very silent car ride to the doctor.
As we pulled into the parking lot I saw my doctor smoking. He must have lied to me that he took the medicine. You can’t smoke with this medicine. It even says on the box. I walked into his office and I said “you can’t smoke on Pontal". 
“I don’t” doctor said.
“Why did I see you smoking outside” I explained.
“ I was waiting for my son to get here and it was cold so I was warming my hands up".
“Ok it doesn’t matter just give me better Pantal so I can play baseball” I said.
Doctor Pearson gave me 15 milligrams higher than last time. As I went to bed I thought about if I would get nervous
or not. I fell asleep shortly after and when I got up I saw the clock, it was 8:00 o’clock. Practice is at 8:20 I got up put my pants, shirt, cleats, and socks on. I ran down the stairs and yelled “ Mom I can’t be late for practice".
Mom and I hoped in the car and she drove crazy fast. We got there just in time and mom told me that Mrs.Mchenry is picking me up. As practice went on I never got nervous. After that day I never got nervous again.Andy Lang went on to play on the Atlanta Braves as a starting catcher.He played in the American League and never got to play with his best buddy Bryan ever again.
 


The author's comments:

The author has anxiety and he never read a story that a kid had anxiety.