The Start Of A New Friendship | Teen Ink

The Start Of A New Friendship

November 18, 2014
By iak20 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
iak20 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is like a roller coaster it has its ups and downs~unknown


 I’ll say I have a pretty great life. I have a nice home, nice clothes and I go to a good school, but I have that times two. I really don’t like to talk about it, but, whatever. In the lunch room, I saw my friends walk through the heavy glass doors.
      “Hey! Jorden, Anna over here!”
      “Hey London!”  They both said back. “Wasn’t social studies so boring?” Anna whined. She’s always been kind of a whiner.
      “Oh, Anna.” I said with a smile, even though I was a little annoyed
      We sat at the lunch table as the boys behind us we making “cakes” the sight of it made my stomach ache. Just as I was about to take a bite of my chocolate cake, someone tapped my shoulder. It was Mrs. Smith the guidance counselor. I got a little nervous thinking I was in trouble.
      “Hello London, could you do a favor for me?” She asked,
      "Sure, what do you need?" I replied, feeling relieved.
      “Well, there is a girl who is thinking about going to this school and I was wondering if she could shadow you. You know, follow you around all day."
      "Yeah, sure! I said"
      "Awesome, thanks! Well, I better get going, have a nice lunch ladies."
      I carried on with my day. Math, science, com-arts and my favorite class, theater. The bell rang and I went to the busses.
When I walked inside my house the warm air blew in my face, along with the smell of cookies and a burning candle.
      "Hey, mom!" I yelled, As I swung my backpack on the stairs,
      "Hello, sweetie! How was school?" she replied, giving me a hug.
      "Good!" I said, grabbing one of, the cookies,
I told her about the shadowing in two days.
      "Awesome!" she said
  The next day in Homebase everyone was talking about what their parents do for a living.  Someone asked me what my dad did.
      "He works for NASCAR"
      "No, you told me that your dad worked for GE." A kid shouted.
My face turned red, I really didn't walk to talk about it.
     "Well he does, but he's my step dad.
       My mom picked me up that afternoon and took me to my dads. When I got there he gave me a hug and a keychain from his business trip to California. I told him about school and about how a girl was going to shadow me the next day.
       “Well that's cool!" He said
We sat on the couch and watched some T.V. The oven rang and we ate My dad said excitedly,
Hey, im going to Kansas tomorrow! he said,
      "Awesome! You've never been there before!
  We left the house and headed to my mom's house.
      “Love you!” He yelled as I walked into the house.
      “Love you too!” I yelled back, before I stepped inside.
When I got inside my sister Hasel was already sleeping. My mom came into my room and tucked me in.
Goodnight London." She whispered
      "Goodnight mom, I love you." I whispered back
      "I love you more!"
I closed my eyes as I thought about how tomorrow would go. I practice out loud what I was going to say when I saw her.
      "Hi, I'm London! It's nice to meet you"
I eventually closed my eyes and fell asleep.
The next day when I got to school I walk to the office, my stomach in a knot. Why am I so nervous? I asked myself. When I walked in, the girl and her mom were sitting in the waiting chairs and both smiled.
      "Hi, I'm London. I said with a smile, although I was nervous
      “Hello London, it's nice to meet you, I'm Mrs. Pender and this is Maggie .”
      “Hi,Maggie ” said shyly
      “Well I should get going, have fun girls! Bye Maggie  love you!”
      “Bye mom!”Maggie  said
      “We went through my normal schedule that day. When the bell rang the both of us walked back to the office. “
      “How was it?”Maggie 's mom asked.
“Good!”Maggie  and I both said because, I was not quite sure who she was talking to.
  “Hey mom! I'm home”I yelled
       “Hi! How was it?” Mom asked
       “Awesome, she was really cool!” I replied
On Monday Maggie  was at school, setting up her locker.
      “Maggie! Hey!” I yelled happy to get her attention.
       “London! Hi! I'm going here now!”
     Maggie and I got along very well and it seemed like Jorden and Anna did as well. I decided since Maggie and I were pretty close I wanted to invite her over.
        "Hey Maggie , I was wondering if you wanted to sleepover at my house on Friday? You can take the bus home with me, if you would like."
      “Sure that sounds great!”
      So that Friday Maggie  came over.
      “Hey mom! We're home!” I yelled
      “You can put your things here.” I said to Maggie  as I threw my items on the stairs,
      “Okay!” Mom yelled back.
      “Hi, I'm Maggie !”Maggie  said shyly.
      “Hello Maggie , it's nice to meet you! I've heard lots about you. There are snacks in the kitchen girls!”
       We ate the snacks and went into the basement. I guess you could say our basement is sort of my "hang-out". I really wanted to learn more about Maggie , but I wasn't sure what to say.
      “So”, I said nervously slumping down on the couch, “tell me about yourself”.
      “Okay, what do you want to know?” She said.
      “I don't know, what's your family like?”
      “Well, my parents are divorced.” She said quickly.
      “What? Really?” I said.
      “Yeah I don't like to really talk about it much.” She said
      “My parents are divorced too!” I said a little too loud,
      I felt like we sort of connected right then and there. We started talking more about random stuff and really got to know each other. That was when I realize that there are more people like me and it doesn't matter if your parents are divorced or not.