ocean | Teen Ink

ocean

By lalli figueroa BRONZE, Halsey, Oregon
lalli figueroa BRONZE, Halsey, Oregon

Dakota
Bang! My body hit the harsh, cold ground. I could taste blood in my mouth. It was a sour. I felt arms touching my back encouraging me to keep fighting, but this time, I finally had enough. My vision was very blurry. I couldn't see much, just a strange figure making its way down to where I was laying. Now I knew, down to the principal’s office it was.
This was where I spent most of my time, sitting by one of my many enemies on a hard, cold, unwelcoming chair. This was nothing different. It was kind of a routine, the daily visit to the office, a weekly fight.
Suddenly, in the silent room, I hear my mom’s shallow voice breaking the tension. “What did you do this time?”  Just by the tone of her voice, I knew she was very disappointed. I didn’t have to say anything  she knew what had happened.
Mom
Once again I got a call from Dakotas’ principal. He got in another fight, but this time it was serious. We’ve been over this a million time, this is not the way to release his anger and express himself. If it’s about the divorce, he honestly needs to get over it. I don’t expect him to completely ignore his dad, but it’s been over 2 years and we haven’t heard anything from him.
Dakota
I could feel the moist, cold, squishy sand under my feet, tickling my toes and somehow making me feel welcome, like it’s my home. I never understood why the Oregon coast was so comforting. My dad and I were running, splashing water at each other and my mother was just watching. The beach made me forget  about  all our problems, but  by looking at my mom I could tell she couldn't forget.

"Dakota, Dakota! Did you just hear that, you're suspended."
"Eh it's whatever, it doesn't even matter, mom. Think about it mom, it might be a good thing, getting a break from school, having time together."
Mom
Now that I thought about it, it wasn't too bad. Maybe now we could both forget about the divorce. To be honest, I was not over it either. This was actually good for us we could then spend time together. The past few years we have not been close  at all. Even though we lived together, we rarely talked.
Dakota
We left the office early, got in the car and went home. Surprisingly, my mom didn't lecture me, I knew something was wrong. "Why are you so quiet?"
"Just thinking, I'm a little upset but I know that you are never going to stop"
"What do you mean?"
"The real question is why do you do this"
"I get in fights because since my dad left, you seem to not care about anything but yourself. I need some attention too.  If you think I am attention desperate that's not the problem. You are too selfish  to notice what other people's needs and problems are, you just don't care.  
Finally, it seemed like  that car ride was never going to end. When we got home,  I rushed out of the car and ran upstairs to my room. This is where I feel safe, the silky and smooth blankets, the room filled with a piney scent reminds me of when our family would go on long hikes in the woods.  Just the thought of our family being together makes me feel nauseous because I know that's never going to happen. The  warm, cuddly temperature of the room made me instantly fall asleep.
Mom
Dakota  has been locked in his room all day he only came down to eat breakfast. I purposely made pancakes this morning. I knew that the fragrant, buttery  smell  of pancakes would awaken him, it always does.  I think he has been ignoring me on purpose, he doesn't want to get in another fight. I have been thinking all day on how to get him to stop fighting, maybe if he transfer schools or if we move to a different  state, I don't know.
Dakota
This morning I woke up and I smelled pancakes, something was up with my mom, she never cooks, my dad used to always cook. After I ate the putrid, raw pancakes I ran back upstairs and packed some clothes. My friend and I talked the previous  night and he said if I was having problems with my mom I could go ahead and stay at his house. Then, my mom walked in. I thought I had locked the door, but I didn't, I was too distracted to remember. "What do you need ?"
"Nothing, I just wanted to check in and see how you were doing."
"I'm perfectly fine, how else would I be."
"Well I was thinking, maybe we can take a road trip to Oregon for these 3 days that you are suspended, how does that sound?"
"That actually doesn't sound so bad, let me think about it." This was actually the best idea I have ever heard. The last time I was there was about 2 years ago. Here, I had to deal with the boring, stuffed, boiling Californian coast. The Oregon coast was my dad's favorite spot, I could handle being there without him.
Mom
I was cleaning the mess Dakota had made from breakfast when I heard his voice, I turned to see what he needed, and just by the look on his excited face I knew he wanted to go on that trip.
Dakota
"Pack your bags mom we're going to Oregon."  
"Okay we are leaving tomorrow morning at 4:00 am." I ran upstairs to pack my bags, but the problem was  I didn't know what to pack. I threw a pile of clothes into my suit case, shut it and threw it  on the ground. By the time I was  done packing I felt exhausted. I threw myself on the bed and instantly fell asleep. I thought I would have problems sleeping because of how excited I was, but that was not the case.
Mom
We almost reach Newport, Dakota has been asleep all the trip. I was hoping he was awake so we could talk and become closer, but instead he decided to sleep. As I drive in complete silence I can't do anything but think about when we were a family.
Dakota
Finally we have arrived, I slept  the whole way to prevent conflict. I rolled my window down and a cold breeze rushed in. I could smell the odorous smell of fish, it wasn't that bad, it just reminded me of bad experiences. My mom stopped the car and went to the bathroom. While I had the chance I ran down to the beach. The size of the ocean was overwhelming , I never really stopped to look. Suddenly,  my mom interrupted and ran to give me a hug.
Mom
I ran up to give Dakota a hug just to let him know that I was here for him, maybe it was just too much to grasp, but he pushed me away. He ran away and I just let him go, I knew he needed time to think.
Dakota
Finally, my mom left me alone. I sat in the icy, moist sand just looking at the ocean. The ocean was enormous it made me feel tiny. This made me realize that my problems were tiny, and I have been over exaggerating. Also that I am not alone, I have my mom and a lot of people are going through the same situation. It was so amazing how the ocean made me feel like this.
My mom and I had a great trip, we went home right away because we knew that this place brought back bad memories. On the way home we decided that it would be better to move and get a fresh start.. It might sound a little cliché but my mom and I now live very happily. Turns out all we needed was a break from our problems.
In conclusion, the ocean can be very inspiring, so just take a break and see what you'll learn. That's what honestly fixed our relationship. Lastly, I am glad we took that trip to Oregon. I don't know how i would have ended up without it.