School | Teen Ink

School

“Beep, beep, beep.” This was the noise I hated more than anything, the sound of my alarm clock. It was too early to be awake I thought to myself as I got out of bed in a daze and got ready for my first day of high school. This year I will be attending a new school in southern California due to the fact that my parents got a divorce, my mom got a new job, and I got kicked out of my old school. I walked across the hall to the bathroom to do my hair and makeup and brush my teeth. I reached for my tooth brush, and it fell in the toilet. “Are you kidding me right now?” I yelled in a furious tone as I grabbed my tooth brush out of the nasty toilet. What a great way to start my morning I thought to myself. I finished my hair and makeup and went back to my room to put my shoes on. Just minutes later I heard my mom call my name.
“Hana, breakfast is ready.”
“Coming mom.” I yelled from upstairs. I grabbed my backpack and walked downstairs. Just as I turned the corner, I tripped on the rug and fell down the stairs and landed flat on my face. I got up and threw my bag across the room. “Could this day get any better!” I said sarcastically. I ate my breakfast in a hurry in hopes I wouldn’t be late for my first day of high school. 
I got to school that morning with the worst feeling ever that today was going to be terrible. I found my way to the office to ask the lady at the big desk to print out a sheet with my classes on it. As I entered the office, the lady asked my name.
“What’s your name sweetheart?” she asked in a soft, but sweet tone.
“Hana Harris.” I answered back very rudely. I didn’t mean for it to come out rude but I was already in a bad mood.
“And what can I do for you today?” she asked with a shocked look on her face.
“If you could print off my schedule that would be very helpful, today is my first day and I don’t know where any of my classes are, or what they are for that matter.”
“Sure no problem, I’ll be right back with that for you.” She answered as she walked to the back room.
I looked over my shoulder to the right of me and saw a girl my age standing at the desk a few feet away. She was getting her schedule changed. She looked like someone I had seen before, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. She then turned around and that’s when I noticed she looked just like my friend Emily from my old school. The way she carried herself reminded me so much of Emily, and they way she dressed especially. I had a little flashback in my mind of last year with Emily. We had so much fun. We went on camping trips, shopping trips, we did everything together. it reminded me how much I miss her and my other friends. The office lady walked around the corner with my schedule.
“Here you go dear. Have a wonderful first day.”
“Thank you so much.” I said politely as I left the office. As I walked out the door I ran into someone and dropped my papers and my bag. Great I thought to myself, my terrible morning continues. He courteously helped me pick up my stuff and then introduced himself.
“Hi there, I’m Ken. Is today your first day?” He asked in a southern accent. He must have been from Texas I thought to myself.
“Hi, I’m Hana. I’m really sorry about that, I’m having a pretty off morning. Do you happen to know where the chemistry lab is?”
“Actually that’s my first period class. Mind if we walk together?” he asked anxiously.
“Not at all, that would be great!” I answered with a smile on my face. We walked into the chemistry lab and I noticed the girl from the office was sitting at a table all alone. She looked nice, but I wasn’t completely sure so I asked Ken.
“’ “Hey, who’s that girl sitting there? She looks exactly like my friend Emily.”
“That’s Maya. She’s really nice.” He replied. We walked to the table she was sitting at and asked if we could join her. We did and experiment and we were required to be in groups of two or three, so we just made a group. As the day went by, I found myself enjoying the company the company of Ken and Maya more and more. They are extremely nice and even welcomed me on the first day. I didn’t have a problem finding any of my classes because they helped me. Just as we finished putting our stuff away, the bell rang. We walked to our lockers and put our books away. We talked for a while and then went our separate ways.
Hana’s POV
I got home that day and realized that going to a new school wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Even though my morning didn’t start out so great, I still ended up meeting two really nice people. After the day had ended I had a really good feeling about this school. I could defiantly see myself graduating from here and actually staying here longer than two months. I also came to the conclusion that not everything last forever and bad days can soon turn into good days. Just like my first day.
Ken’s POV
I was walking to my first period class and all of a sudden this random girl I had never seen before ran into me. I could tell she was new because she didn’t know where any of her classes were. After I introduced myself and we walked to class and started talking, I could tell she was a really nice girl.