Everything is not as it seems | Teen Ink

Everything is not as it seems

By Nickels16 BRONZE, Lisbon,WI, Wisconsin
Nickels16 BRONZE, Lisbon,WI, Wisconsin

God gives you 100 reasons to cry, but 1,000,000 reasons to smile.

I clenched my fists under my desk. “10,9,8” I counted down in my head. “7,6,5” I kept counting down. I coughed and cleared my throat as I squeezed my stomach in tighter. “4,3,2” one more second until we leave, I thought. “1” I gasped out loud as my classmates grabbed their notebooks and ran out of the math room. I let it out. The biggest growl came out of my stomach, it sounded like a roaring tiger.  

The roaring tiger lasted about 10 seconds. After my relief of starvation I turned around to get my stuff. I saw five popular girls holding in their laughter. My face burned with pain as if someone threw a bottle of hot sauce on it. I could feel my ears get beet red along with the back of my neck. All of the girls burst out laughing and a few of them whispered to each other with big grins on their faces. I didn't bother to grab my stuff.

I stormed out of the room and bumped into my friend “Mariah”. “Oh my gosh your face is so red what happened to you?! she questioned. “I just...uggghhh” I mumbled and through my head into my hands. Mariah patted me on the back and whispered “I guess you don’t want to talk about it. I made a “ummhm” noise with my throat to say “Yes”. “Alright I will go get us a table for lunch” she stuttered.

I rose my head out of my hands and rubbed my eyes. I heard the voices of giggly girls and I sprinted behind an open hallway door. It was all five of the girls I completely embarrassed myself in front of. I crouched down so my knees were hitting the dusty, cold hallway tile. They all walked past gossiping. I could smell their sweet perfume and air from their bodies swift past me. Their voices slowly faded away.

“Kendall”?! I heard Mariah’s voice yell down the hallway. I peeked my head around the corner of the door. “Come on you are gonna miss all of lunch”! “Aren’t you hungry”? She gasped. I put my hand softly over my stomach. I forgot what started this whole deal of embarrassment. “Yea” I   mumbled softly and ran towards her. “The popular girls have it so easy” I blurted to Mariah. “Nice clothes, nice hair, nice houses, and they never have to worry about getting embarrassed, in fact they sometimes embarrass others”. I said under my breath. “Yea I guess, but… they have normal lives too clothes and popularity doesn't make a difference” Mariah said, shrugging her shoulders as we continued walking down the hallway.
                                            *   *   *
  The bell for the end of the day rang as I got on my soft brand new white jacket. I snatched my backpack and stumbled my way down the hallway. I opened the front doors of the school as the screams and yells of kids running around outside increased. I crunched the brown and orange old leaves under my black converse. When I got to the sidewalk, I searched for my moms silver sedan. “This whole day tired me out” I thought to myself. I rose my shoulders up and bundle my hands in my pockets. I tilted my head to the dark gray, gloomy sky. I got one last glimpse at the sky and then slowly closed my eyes.

The cold fall air brushed past my pale face. It felt nice like someone blew their fresh minty breath against my face. I took deep sighs and blocked out the sound of yelling and laughing kids.
I heard a commotion of girls asking questions like “What’s wrong” and another said “Thats so rude and not cool”! I quickly opened my eyes and looked through the crowd of kids. I see the group of girls that matched the voices I heard before. I see “Mackenzie” one of the popular girls in the middle crying. Her mascara was running down her soft tan cheeks. Her bright pink lips quivered as she rubbed her small petite nose. I felt butterflies gather in my stomach and my legs started to move. It felt like someone pushed a button on me that said “GO”! “Stop, stop, stop” I whispered with a mean tone in my voice. A couple of 8th graders heard me and looked at me like I was crazy. It didn't bother me all I really cared about was why Mackenzie was crying. Soon enough, I arrived at the group of girls. A couple of them looked at me then all of them were staring at me with blank looks on their faces.

My face got a bit red and I managed to blurt out “Umm…. what happened”? I stood still and waited for an answer. “Oh… Mackenzie got a rumor spread about her” one girl mumbled. Mackenzie threw her head into her hands and started to weep again. “Oh I am sorry I hope you feel better” I said quietly. Mackenzie looked at me and said “Thanks… Kendall”. I nodded and sprinted away noticing my moms car. I threw my backpack in the back seat of the sedan and hopped up to the front seat. I rolled down the window. The cold air sent shivers up my spine. “Roll that window up Kendall” my mom gasped. I didn't answer. All I could think about was Mackenzie. I thought about what Mariah said earlier. “They have normal lives too” Mariah's voice echoed in my head. She was absolutely right. I am grateful for what I have and who I am.