Changing for the Better | Teen Ink

Changing for the Better

By Bailey Christ BRONZE, Peachtree City, Georgia
Bailey Christ BRONZE, Peachtree City, Georgia

Some things just never change, do they?  I mark yet another tally on my wall with a rock.  I count them up again, totaling up with twelve unsuccessful interviews with adopters.  I quickly wipe the hot tear that swells out of my eye, laying back down on my hard bed in my lonely room.  I see all the abandoned beds and am reminded I am the last one in the orphanage. 
I must have dozed off, because I wake up to Mother Sable handing me dinner. Of course, it’s the usual. A small loaf of wheat bread, cheese, ham, and a cup of water. However unappetizing this may be to the spoiled rich folk, it is food enough to me. If I had said that out loud, I would have been smacked on the spot. I begin eating the small meal, swallowing all my dangerous words along with it. 
While eating, I put my dad’s old hat on, memories flooding back to me like a rush of blood to the head.  We used to fish together when I was five, but I hardly remember those days anymore, being thirteen. My dad and mom died when I was turning six. The whole house burned down that day, for whatever reason no one ever found out, and with them being the only family members of mine, I was sent straight to the orphanage. I can’t complain. I am fed and sheltered and treated with care.
But I want a home. My own bed, my own room. My own family. I close my eyes and shove the last piece of ham into my mouth. My stomach begs for more, but the last time I asked, I was spanked and told not to be gluttonous. I tuck myself into bed, trying to ignore the gnawing hunger. Eventually I manage to fall into my usual restless sleep.
***
“Mother Sable?” I mumble, rubbing my eyes. I felt like I hadn’t gotten any sleep. Nothing unusual.
“There’s someone here to see you, Raeanne.” She nods to me and leaves the room, shutting the door so I can change.
All twelve times, the meetings have been pre scheduled. A spontaneous visit was rarer than getting adopted.
I quickly dressed and brushed my hair, staring at my tired face in the tarnished mirror. I was doubtful anyone would even want to look at me. I resembled an old washrag, tattered and droopy. My eyes seemed almost dull, like they were lacking a usual vibrancy that came with youth. I didn’t think anyone would want to take a broken to like me home.
Reluctantly, I made my way through the small orphanage until I stood in front of a door. On the other side sat a woman and a man, patiently awaiting a happy, vivacious thirteen year old girl. I knew that as soon as I turned the knob, their faces would light up and just as soon be put out, like candles in the wind. I grabbed the knob, bracing myself for the worst. My hand hesitated, then twisted the brass handle. I pushed the door, unhurried, until it was completely open, but my feet were rooted to the spot and refused to enter the inauspicious room.
Mother Sable said a curt “good luck” to the people behind the table and hurried out the door, brushing softly past me. Her hand kindly pushed me into the room and she closed the door, smiling nervously. The door shut quietly and the room was silent for a few moments. I felt like crying.
“Hello, Raeanne,” the woman finally said, her voice sweet and gentle.
“Yes, hi!” the man exclaimed, less confidently than the woman.
I didn’t say anything for a minute, almost too exhausted to reply.
“Hi,” I managed.
“You should sit down!” the man got up from his chair and pulled mine out from the table, motioning for me to sit. I walked halfheartedly across the room and sat down in the chair.
“Thank you.” I smiled.
“I’m Sondra Tarren. This is my husband Lucas Tarren. Please call us Sondra and Lucas,” Sondra reached her hand across the table and I shook her hand. She laughed a bit, squeezing my hand just a little too tight and shaking just a bit too enthusiastically. I smiled, genuinely. I liked Sondra.
Lucas laughed and reached his hand across too, taking mine in his and linking our fingers. We shook awkwardly. I laughed shyly, thankful for their friendliness.

We talked for an hour and a half, but to me it felt like less than thirty minutes. They made me laugh. It’s been a while since I genuinely laughed. They asked about me. Not about my past, like all of the other interviewers. They asked me what I like to do and what my favorite food was and what my favorite color was. Even though I couldn’t answer all of the questions, I enjoyed them all. I forgot what it felt like to be the subject of a conversation that didn’t have something to do with my parents; the fire. Sondra and Lucas made me feel more important in one and a half hours than I had since I was six.
Mother Sable finally came in, asking if everything was going well.
“We want to adopt her. Raeanne, is that okay?” Sondra asked.
I sat in pure shock, staring at Sondra for what felt like an hour. She smiled encouragingly at me while I stared at her in silence.
“Raeanne?” Mother Sable asked breathlessly.
I nodded, subtly at first, then with great vigor, until my head was bobbing up and down uncontrollably.
Everyone beamed at each other, all nervous and eager for the outcome of this life-changing decision.
While Sondra and Lucas filled out the paperwork, I gathered my few belongings and lingered on my old bed momentarily, feeling a brief surge of fear for the future. But I was beyond excited. Finally, I would not be alone in this saddening orphanage. Finally, things were going my way. I figured I might not be the best person out there, but I deserved this. I would have what I’ve wanted for seven years. A family.

I was inspired to write this when I wondered what it would be like if I did not have my family.