Bridges | Teen Ink

Bridges

Standing on a bridge high above the city, the girl gazes down at the water flowing rapidly around the rocks and various other objects in the river. She takes and deep breath and closes her eyes.

Around her she hears frantic voices calling to her to get down and step back, but she ignores them.

She opens her eyes and, once again, stares down at the river.

She watches as the red and blue lights from the emergency vehicles all around her reflect off the blue blanket of water.

“This is it. This is the end of the road,” she says to herself.

She takes another deep breath and is about to jump when she feels someone touch her arm.

She looks behind her and finds herself staring into a pair of bright green eyes.

She touches his face.

“How can you be here?” she questions.

“You don’t have to do this,” he says. “Think about what it will do to mom. She just lost me; if she loses you, too, I don’t think she’ll survive.”

“I know, but I miss you, Mike,” she says in a small voice.

“I know you do. I miss you, too, but all you have to do is think about me and I’ll be there for you,” he says. “So, please get down and go over to there where mom is.” He points to where a woman in her late forties stands watching her only daughter with tears streaming down her face.

She takes another deep breath, and steps back over the railing and into her mother’s arms.

She looks back to where Mike was, but he is already gone.

Sometimes, life puts you on a bridge looking down, but you don’t need to jump. Just step back and think of how it will effect to ones who love you.

on Jan. 11 2009 at 1:37 am
Really deep and touching. Nice work