The Lion | Teen Ink

The Lion

November 18, 2014
By Yetis BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Yetis BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

      I hope I survive. My Trip to South Africa could be over.

It felt like we were going 100 miles per hour as we plowed over trees and bushes through thick brush, on and off dusty roads in our heavy duty land rover. I slowed the my surroundings down as we zoomed by and noticed short, dense trees and dead grass, and bushes.Wind wiped in my face, and this was all to see a huge male lion.
     Out of the corner of my eye I spot something, My heart drops!. I don't know how I saw it, but there it was sitting in a bed of dead grass.
The lion was huge must have been 300 pounds.
I'm frozen as we move closer and closer, weaving threw trees and logs into patches of dead grass. Crunching threw the dead red and orange leaves on the ground. When were only about eight feet away we stop. Our guide turns of the engine. The lion was looking away we we moved closer. I am going to die I thought. It's head turns slowly with power. It was breath taking and spine chilling as I looked at it.
     I looked into its deep black eyes, it was like looking into a black hole. It mane was jet black, It's muscles bulged like a body builders. It's face beams with power and strength. It seems like I had been staring at it for hours, but it had only been seconds.

I feel my heart beating,
    "Relax Jack" my mom whispered,
    "just breath". I breathed, breath deeper I tell myself.At that point realized needed to be brave and have a heart of a lion, Just like the one in front of me.

     It was like the lion was not there, it was serene. I felt peace, with the lion and myself. I was not afraid anymore.

     The guide turns on the engine and says "time to leave" the guide exclaimed quietly. We start in reverse, but don't move. I assume we were in the wrong gear and It was easy to fix. Once again, he steps on the gas, once again we don't move. I wanted to scream!, but knew it would startle and provoke the lion. I keep it in. Then we hear a thud of a tree stump under our truck and knew we were stuck. Any where else we could have just hopped out and pushed the truck. But being next to a male lion ruined that chance. One final time the guide slams on the pedal in reverse and the truck comes free and flys backwards, and we drive away quickly, in awe at what we just experienced.