Undecided | Teen Ink

Undecided

November 18, 2014
By blk20 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
blk20 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Undecided

It all started last Monday when Mrs. Smith told all the freshmen, they would have a week to pick an activity.
“Now, if you don’t have an activity by Monday, you’ll be stuck doing something worse,” she threatened.
Track, singing, and playing an instrument is what went through my mind when she said that. I swung my brown locks around and told Caitlin. Caitlin was twirling her blonde hair with her finger, and probably didn't hear a thing the teacher said. She agreed just as the bell rang. The hallway was like a traffic jam, but worse. People pushing other people and books flying everywhere. I’m just glad it’s the end of the day.
Caitlin and I always jog home from school, but that day was different, neither one of us was talking. I think it was because we were both thinking about what activity to choose. Finally, two blocks away from our neighborhood, we stopped running and talked about the activities we wanted to do.
“Well, I really couldn't care less if we don’t do choir,” Caitlin said.
“I know singing isn’t my strength either,” I replied.
“We have the whole weekend to decide,” I added.
“I’ll see you in 20 minutes, we’ll have lots of fun at the lake house.”
Those 20 minutes seemed to drag on. But, the reason I couldn’t wait any longer is, because we always have the best times up there. Finally, it was time to leave.  I grab my duffel bag, yelled bye to my mom, and walked next door to Caitlin’s house. Ding, Dong, Caitlin was at the door before you could say lake house.
“Ready to have some fun!” Caitlin asked.
“You bet!” I responded.
We loaded the car, got Caitlin’s mom, and we were off to the lake house.
There I could finally see it, beautiful Lake Okauchee. As I climbed out of the car I inhaled deeply, all the fresh and clean air rushed in my nose. It felt really good not to breath in all the polluted city air for a change. When we got in the house we ran straight downstairs, threw our stuff on the couch, and out the side door. We raced to the dock like cheetahs, but we tied. Which I guess was a good thing, because we can get really competitive. Down by the dock we saw an old paddle boat, and when I say old I mean real old, it was turning a yellow color, an inch dirty rain water was in the bottom, and wet leaves were clinging to it everywhere. But I should have known that Caitlin would talk me into going on it.
“But, Brittany when will you ever have a chance to do this again?”
“Well, I guess never.”
With that comment we grab out the life jackets and untied it from the dock.
We started going out, but we couldn’t get nowhere, because we just went in circles.
“Caitlin lets go back we don’t know how to work this thing.”
We started heading back when Caitlin’s mom shouted “Hey do you girls want to go tubing now?”
We started pedaling faster and faster.
“We’ll be there in a second mom.”
We changed into our swimsuits as quick as a cheetah. The boat swayed a little as we all got on, dragging the tube with us. Caitlin drove the boat out to the deep area. Finally, we could connect the tube to the boat and got in. Caitlin’s mom went slow, then she speeded up. The water felt good splashing in my face, and it was really warm. Which was surprising because it rained earlier. We were out on the lake for about an hour.
“Do you girls want to go back to the house,” Caitlin’s mom asked politely.
“Yeah, mom I think we had enough fun for now,” Caitlin responded.
“Okay, time to get off now, but watch your step,” she warned.
I got off with no problems, but when Caitlin got off there were problems. She didn’t lift her leg high enough, and she fell right on the dock. But when she tried to stop herself, but her pinkie bent way too far back, and she broke it. Although Caitlin was totally cool about, it her mom’s idea was a different story.
“Honey, honey are you alright?”
“Yes, mom it’s nothing!”
But her mom still rushed her inside, and wrapped it up and put ice on it. When she came back out I asked,
“Is everything alright?”
“Yeah, my mom is just a worry wart,” she said.
“Well you know something good came out of this. Now we only have two things to choose from.”
“Leave it to you to find something good out of this.” she held up her hand.
“Now lets go listen to some music in the basement," I suggested.
“Okay lets go!”
We cranked the stereo up to 30 and listen to our favorite songs. We also sang and danced to almost every song.
“What would I do without your smart mouth
Drawing me in, and you kicking me out
You got my head spinning, no kidding, I can't pin you down,” we sang.
“You know Caitlin, I heard the choir teacher is really mean.”
“You even have to record yourself singing for homework,” she responded.
“Well, how about we just forget about singing and do track,” I said.
“Okay sounds like a plan.”
The rest of the weekend was just a bunch of fun and games, now that we didn’t have to worry about the decision.
On Monday morning, Caitlin and I were sitting in our seats, confident about our choice.
“Hello, class I hope you all have an activity picked out. We will go around the room one at a time to tell me your activity. Brittany what’s your activity?”
“Track.”
“Caitlin how about you?”
“Track too.”
We were still feeling good about our choice till she said.
“Rick your choice.”
“Track.”
Rick was the grossest person in the whole school, and now he was in track with us. Our lives were completely over now. Track with Rick is a whole different, gross story.