The Hard Choice | Teen Ink

The Hard Choice

November 18, 2014
By vln20 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
vln20 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dance for life

I just got home from a late, late, late dance practice on a Friday night. I could smell the bread baking crisp in the oven and the spaghetti and meatballs was smelling like I walked into a fancy dinner place. Except my family couldn’t pay for that type of dinner. When I walked into the kitchen the table was set for five. I was confused.
“Hi honey!” my dad said.
“Hi dad, why do we have the table set for five?” I asked
both  parents.
“Well your aunt and uncle are coming for dinner!” my mom said. A half an hour later, my aunt and uncle showed up. We all sat down for dinner. When my mom came over with a big bowl of salad, we were all set for the main dish. The salad had a sweet flavored sauce over it. We all were half way stuffed by the time the spaghetti and bread were done. But it smelled so good we couldn’t pass it up. The bread had a good crunch on the outside but warm and soft on the inside. When we finished all of the food we ate we felt as heavy as Santa claus. My aunt was a nurse and my uncle was a doctor. They had to leave early because they work at night. Then it was just my mom and dad and me. My mom had to go do the dishes before she went to bed. She goes to bed early because she wakes up early to go to her school she works at. My dad had to file recipes for his restaurant he owns. I went to go help my mom with the dishes.
  “Mom, Miss Cathy said I need to practice my routine for dance for at least an hour.” I told her
“Tonight?” my mom asked.
“No, no tomorrow at some point.” I said while laughing.
My mom was laughing so hard that when she pushed the rag into a cup, bubbles shot up in our hair. When we were all done my parents went to bed upstairs. I watched some t.v. and fell asleep on the couch, leaving the t.v. on all night. The next morning I woke up to SpongeBob squarepants on the t.v. When I finally got off the couch I did my normal morning routine. By the time I was done I missed breakfast and it was lunch time. I ate lunch and went upstairs to practice in my room. I practiced this hard move over and over again and finally I got it. So I tried doing it with the whole dance. I did it once but I wanted to practice it again. I practiced once more. When I got to the move I thought I could do it again so I did it full out. Well, I thought wrong because I fell to the ground. When I hit the ground I heard a crack as loud as thunder. I started crying and crying and crying. My eyes felt like they were in a swimming pool because they were so wet. When ten minutes passed, I finally heard footsteps coming downstairs. It was my mom.
“Honey what happened.” she asked.
“Hos..hos.” I muttered. I was trying to say hospital. Well my mom couldn’t understand me so she left. I was confused. She came back down with a white board and a marker.
“Write down what you have to say sweetie.” she said. So I did. I wrote
“Take me to the hospital now.” She was confused, but she saw that my leg looked like it was out of shape. She carried me downstairs and we got in the car. It took us about twenty to thirty minutes for us to get to the emergency room. When we got there it took my mom an extra five minutes to get me in the hospital without hurting my leg. When we got in the hospital somebody noticed us and got us a wheelchair for me to sit in. There were people who wheeled me into the emergency room where I would have my surgery. They got me onto the bed and when they left the room the surgeon came right in. He told my mom and I what was going to happen. Then he finally gave me sleepy medicine. Then when I woke up they were done with the surgery. I saw my mom, my doctor and my dad. I don’t remember when he got there. I looked down at my leg. I couldn’t see it because there was a large lime green cast on it. The doctor told my family and me that I would have to stay overnight. Then he told us the very bad news. When he told us it felt like my whole inside collapse.
  “I have good news and bad news.” my doctor said. My mom was so frightened she wanted the good news first.
“Maya will get 3 boxes of popsicles to take home.” he said.
“What’s the bad news?” I asked him.
“You are going to stay overnight and your parents can come at anytime to check on you.” he said. I thought to myself
“That’s not so bad.” But that wasn’t it.
“You get to choose.” he said. Oh no I thought to myself.
“You can either keep dancing and risk the danger or let your leg heal?” he said. There it was a big kick in the stomach. I didn’t know what to say.
“Can I think about it because I have to stay overnight?” I asked him. He stood there for a long time, but his final decision was sure. My mom went down to the kitchen and got a snack for herself.
“Do you want anything?” she asked before she left.
“No i’m not hungry right now.” I told her. She came back with lemon ice and a bag of chips. She never ate junk food. I was confused, but too tired to ask her. She sat down next to me. I was in the hospital bed, it was uncomfortable. I didn’t realize this, but I fell asleep and I took a short nap. When I woke up it was the middle of the afternoon. I had a room with a huge window and the sun was shining right on me. I still hadn’t chosen what I was going to do. It was hard for me because I loved dancing but I love being healthy. It was ten forty five at night and my dad had called my mom. I couldn’t hear my dad at all.
  “I’m still at the hospital with Maya. I’ll be home soon don’t worry.” I asked what happened. She told me my dad was wondering where she was. Before I knew it, it was already twelve forty five. My mom brought the doctor in.
“I’m going to head out ok?” I turned on the t.v.
“I’ll see you tomorrow.” she said softly.
“Okay love you.” I said has she kissed me on the forehead. I was watching t.v. when my doctor came in. I turned down the volume.
“Here is a button that when you push it calls us.”
“What is this for?” I asked as he handed me the button.
“Well incase you need anything from us. Like a snack for example.” An hour later I still wasn’t tired. But my mom was back with pillows and blankets.
“Mom you need to get to bed.”
“I came here to make the bed more comfortable for you.” she was putting my pillows under my head. Then I went to bed. The next morning I had my final decision. The doctor came in when I pushed the button. Wow I thought. This thing really works. He came in and asked what the problem was. I asked him if I could call my mom. He told me he would get the phone. One minute later he was back. I dialed the number and it started ringing. My dad answered the home phone.
  “Hi?” my dad answered confused.
“Where’s mom?”
“She went to the grocery store.”
“Can you tell her when she’s done can she stop over?”
“Sure honey.” He said as hung up. My doctor asked what was going to happen. I told him that my mom was going to come over here when she was done with her arons. It was an hour later and my mom came in the room. She told me she brought a surprise. Then my dance teacher and a couple of friends from dance came in. They hung out at the hospital for a while. Then they started asking questions.
“How’s your leg?” one asked.
“Do you get special things?” another asked. I didn’t want to answer a million questions so I told them I was going to rest so if they would leave that would be great. Everybody left and my mom was the last one walking out.
“Not you mom.” I told her. She sat back down in the chair.
“I thought you wanted to rest?” she asked.
“No, it’s just they were asking too many questions I didn’t want to answer.” I told her. I said to finally I made up my decision on what i’m going to do with my leg.
“Can you get the doctor. I asked my mom. My doctor came in five minutes later.
“What seems to be the problem?” he asked both of us.
“Nothing is wrong, I know my choice and i’m positive
with that decision.” I told him as he sat down to talk to me.
“What is your choice.” He asked with a pencil in his hand, ready to write down my decision.
“My choice is..” As I stopped my dad and aunt walked in. “What’s going on?” my dad asked my mom.
“She is going to tell the doctor if she wants her leg to heal or keep dancing and risk more danger to herself.” my mom told him. Once my dad has got settled in I told my doctor my decision again.
“My choice is that I will let my leg heal.” I told him. My mom had a happy smile on her face like she knew I was going to pick that choice. My doctor told me that he was glad I picked that and that I could leave in half an hour and finally go home. He left the room for my family to have privacy. My parents told me that they were proud that I could leave and that they would take me home to change and then they would take me out for dinner.  It was time for us to leave and I was really happy. I didn’t like the hospital because it’s always a serious place where doctors hangout. When I walked to the elevator it felt weird to walk on the cast. My doctor told me it will take a while for me to get used to that feeling. We ate at culvers and it was better than hospital dinner. We got home and my throat hurt because it was dry. I told my mom and she took me to go get something for me to drink for my throat. When we pulled out of the driveway she asked where I wanted to go. I told her to drive downtown and then I would have my answer. When she got onto the road I swear we had to stop at every red light. We got downtown and she asked me.
“Do you want to go to Starbucks?” I looked over and smiled at her.