Speed Is Crazy | Teen Ink

Speed Is Crazy

By calebracecar5 BRONZE, Kings Mountain, North Carolina
calebracecar5 BRONZE, Kings Mountain, North Carolina

"first or last"

Speed is a crazy thing its taken the lives of many people am I scared of it? of course not i still chase it on a daily basis. Everything I do  try to do it at full speed. many people think im crazy and they're probably right but its my whole life. my name is charlie I worked my whole life to get where I am now. I have raced at every level imaginable but it wasn't easy.

I started out watching races on TV and at the local dirt track. I dreamed of being a Late Model driver all of my childhood. I started working on race cars seriously when I was about 13. When i turned 16 my dad bought me my first car it was a 1997 Jeep Wrangler it got me to school and back. I found a job so I could keep gas in the tank. i worked hard for my money I made minimum wage at gas station about a mile from the school. I saved up enough money to buy a late model. I learned fast that I can't be a successful racer living on minimum wage. but racing was part of my life I couldn't stop I sold my car and bought a used camaro. I needed money so I started street racing.
I was a dominate street racer so my friend Joe offered me a chance to drive his Super Late Model it had way more horsepower than anything I have ever driven before.  I didn't win  the race but I finished third which is great considering its the first time I had driven that car.  I drove for the rest of the season in Joes car. In next year joe bought a new car and I drove it I picked up a few sponsors so I was driving for a living now. I started a touring series we went all across america. I started making more money off of the tour and my life was finally successful.
I met a scout looking for drivers in asphalt racing stock cars. I never thought i would be able to make it this far. I made it to NASCAR. Traveling in the truck series was great but i missed home its a lot different than dirt because i'm at the track 5 days a week now but the speed makes up for the homesickness after my time in trucks I moved up to the top level it was perfect speeds at two-hundred miles per hour or more is scary and it never gets boring. Then I had the big one at Talladega Alabama I flipped 8 times down the backstretch I thought I was dead all i felt was going around and around I woke up in the hospital i don't know how I survived.

I ruined the car but my sponsors backed me up the next time I went to Talladega I took home the trophy. NASCAR was good to me i won my first championship I was only 25. I moved into a huge house with a even bigger garage and became a car collector I bought and sold classic cars new cars fast cars and slow cars. I started my line of custom cars and I made a great profit off of it. I grew stupid I started street racing again.

I lost everything because of it I had it all but I was stupid I collided into a minivan at one hundred and sixty miles per hour I killed an entire family of five off one stupid crash i'll never forgive myself. I was given a fifteen year sentence this is my 14 year in this place. Im no longer a role model im a disgrace.     

I am a huge racing fan I love racing its a dream of mine to get to race.