The Broken Truth | Teen Ink

The Broken Truth

By 19asol BRONZE, Toledo, Ohio
19asol BRONZE, Toledo, Ohio

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - Mark Twain

"You should always tell lies", said no parent ever. Honesty; a value that is important in everyone's life. At least, that's what I learned. People are people and we will always make mistakes. But, that doesn't mean you are allowed to lie. Honesty is a form of respect. It's a form wisdom. A form of leadership. That's what's my life is based off of. But, is honesty the truth? 

When I was five, I had my first lesson of honesty. My father and I were dropping my brother off to school. After we pulled up in front of the school I asked if I could hold the keys. My father agreed. He warned me not to leave the keys in the car. He also asked me to lock the car. Being five, I decided to break all the rules except the fun one. I left the keys in the car and locked the doors from the inside. Before I closed the door, my dad asked me if I had the keys. I answered with a yes; my first lie. But, I didn't have them. After we dropped my brother off, we went back to the car. He asked me for the keys. I told him they were in the car. He asked me why I left them in the car. I told him they fell out of my pocket; my second lie. My mother was sick that day, so we had to walk all the way home. Thankfully it wasn't that far away.

After that day I learned my lesson about lying. But, what if I hadn't lied. What if I hadn't lied. If that had never happened I might still be lying. So I have to thank lying. A person must fail to learn. So lying isn't honesty. But, if you lie you'll eventually have to tell the truth. And the truth is honesty.

What inspired me was that I see so many people lying around me and they are proud that they were able to get away with their lies. I  always tell these people that they are lying to themselves and no one else.