The Broken Truth | Teen Ink

The Broken Truth

October 20, 2014
By 19asol BRONZE, Toledo, Ohio
19asol BRONZE, Toledo, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - Mark Twain


"You should always tell lies", said no parent ever. Honesty; a value that is important in everyone's life. At least, that's what I learned. People are people and we will always make mistakes. But, that doesn't mean you are allowed to lie. Honesty is a form of respect. It's a form wisdom. A form of leadership. That's what's my life is based off of. But, is honesty the truth? 


When I was five, I had my first lesson of honesty. My father and I were dropping my brother off to school. After we pulled up in front of the school I asked if I could hold the keys. My father agreed. He warned me not to leave the keys in the car. He also asked me to lock the car. Being five, I decided to break all the rules except the fun one. I left the keys in the car and locked the doors from the inside. Before I closed the door, my dad asked me if I had the keys. I answered with a yes; my first lie. But, I didn't have them. After we dropped my brother off, we went back to the car. He asked me for the keys. I told him they were in the car. He asked me why I left them in the car. I told him they fell out of my pocket; my second lie. My mother was sick that day, so we had to walk all the way home. Thankfully it wasn't that far away.

 

After that day I learned my lesson about lying. But, what if I hadn't lied. What if I hadn't lied. If that had never happened I might still be lying. So I have to thank lying. A person must fail to learn. So lying isn't honesty. But, if you lie you'll eventually have to tell the truth. And the truth is honesty.


The author's comments:

What inspired me was that I see so many people lying around me and they are proud that they were able to get away with their lies. I  always tell these people that they are lying to themselves and no one else.