Blast from the Past | Teen Ink

Blast from the Past

October 16, 2014
By jini0203 BRONZE, Mumbai, Other
jini0203 BRONZE, Mumbai, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
If not me who If not now when?


The sun shines brightly, Mr.Waters has just comfortably seated himself in the bench overlooking the lush green garden. He is a man of sixty, a recently retired HR manager at a big multinational company and a father of two. He is not only an honest man but also a man of his word. He claims to have never regretted any decision of his life. Today is a usual crowd of soccer moms and toddlers, fathers teaching their kids how to ride their motorcycle etc. Mr.Waters is watching life pass by occasionally munching on his usual pack of French fries.  He consumes extremely oily food, something that doesn’t go down well with his health conscious wife.


As he is basking in the warm winter sun a scene of an argument between two boys catches his eye. In the scene are two boys aged ten and six   approximately who are fighting over a toy, within seconds the older boy snatches the toy from the latter and pushes him and leaves. Waters feels remorse for the younger boy he feels angry at the elder one for his meanness. The sight of the boy crying helplessly reminds him of the time when he was ten and had done something very similar and had boasted about his so-called act of bravery for days. It makes him feel horrible. After a while a young and distressed man sits next to him. When asked about the cause of his miserable condition he explains that he had just been fired from his job due to an absence of seven days. He further explains that his absence was due to his severe back ache and that he was the sole bread earner for his family. Waters reassures him by saying that Karma would take revenge on his boss. The man quietly leaves a few minutes later leaving behind a worried Mr.Waters. Waters fears whether what he said would come true because ten years ago he himself had fired a man due to absence of eleven days. He had explained his mother was sick but because Waters was frustrated because of personal reasons,  he took his anger out on the man and fired him. He had later heard that the man had died of depression. Waters now wondered whether it was his ghost of Christmas Past.


Then came a girl who was crying helplessly. When he asked her about her problem she explained that her father had given her a choice of either studying medicine or she wouldn’t be welcome in the house. She said she was contemplating suicide. Waters painstakingly explained to her how her death would affect her parents etc. and that this was completely uncalled for. She finally understood what he was telling her, wiped  her tears and left. But by now he had begun to sweat profusely. This girl reminded him of the fact that he had asked his daughter to make a similar choice a week ago. He was sure this was Karma teaching him a lesson. He rushed home to find his daughter lying on the ground with her eyes shut. He immediately fainted. A few seconds later his daughter got up from her Yoga Asana to find her father unconscious on the ground. She rushed him to the hospital but he died of a heart attack on the way. Now maybe it was his  eating habit or maybe it was Karma indeed that caused the fatal attack. What do you think?