Child's Perspective | Teen Ink

Child's Perspective

By Abbymari SILVER, Easley, South Carolina
Abbymari SILVER, Easley, South Carolina

Timothy couldn’t help but laugh at Sarah, who was at this very moment upside down on the monkey bars doing the best monkey impression a six year old can do. It wasn’t long after though he stopped laughing and created a stony face. Timothy wasn’t supposed to like her… Right? His parents had brought home the giggly child named Sarah a week ago, claiming that they had talked about adopting her with him. Psh; yeah right! It was more like they told him and completely refused to see how it would affect him. Sharing a playroom and toys? His parents? It was completely unfair! She was a terrible little sister. She was always giving him some of her food, which he just knew was so she could go and tell their, no his parents that he stole it. She also always needed help with riding her bike. Even more-so with skating! She was too young to play laser tag, too little to play football. Card games were too complicated for her. She was utterly incompetent (he coined this phrase from his father). Timothy refused to accept or even like the small child.

Sarah let out a squeal as she ran up the ladder to get to the slide, grabbing Timothy’s attention. He looked just in time to watch in slow motion as her foot missed a rung. Without thinking, he ran to help her, managing to get there in time to slide under and catch her. It was pretty heroic. But why did he even save Sarah? It’s not liked he worried about her. He could care less! Yet he saved her. Why did he save her?

Timothy was still confused trying to muddle through his thoughts at dinner. His brain felt as mushy as the mash potatoes did. Did he really like Sarah? I mean, he saved her right? You don’t save your little sister if you don’t like her. To be completely honest, she wasn’t that bad to play with. She didn’t need much help with riding her bicycle or skating. She could  play other games besides tag or cards, like Chutes and Ladders. Plus she could be pretty funny, like the time she chose her own outfit and dressed as a zombie/fairy/princess and demanded to be able to go to school dressed that way. Oh, she was pretty good at sharing things like popsicles or cookies as well. By the end of dinner Timothy couldn’t remember why he was suppose to dislike Sarah in the first place.