Choices | Teen Ink

Choices

By Chauncey BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Chauncey BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

"Don't make permanent decisions based off temporary decisions.

"Sit still Jacob," she yells. Her son was but a mere 5 months and already active. He rolled around in his walker all over the house getting into various things potentially dangerous to someone of his age. Jesse is trying to find the tape so that the screw on the stove door will stay, keeping it from opening. The stove has been causing her problems, but she has had little time to call a repairman. While she is looking for the tape, she is simultaneously on the phone having a conversation with her sister about the latest family gossip.

"Child, this family of ours is crazy" she chuckles as she has just received the news of her cousin on her 4th child who’s not even 25 yet.
Although she has room to talk she still had a crack left that one could speak about.  She had her own place, and was 26 with one child.  She had a career, not a job, and she lived with her baby’s father, but she could attest to their marriage not being as best as it could be. Her husband had bit of a drinking problem, but nothing too serious. She was naive. Midway through her response to her sister, she heard the keys jiggle and he stammered in. The sway of his body and the bottle of alcohol in his right hand left it evident that he had been drinking. The stench of liquor was also a dead giveaway and was overpowering the smell of chicken cooking on the stove. The baby rolled over in its walker and proceeded to where his parents stood.
"I'll call you back" she said to her sister.  Before her sister could respond, she hung the phone up.
“Where have you been?" she questioned.
Mark replied with a quick "Out" and proceeded from the door. The baby hit the back of his mother's ankle and she yelped in anger. As if sensing trouble, the baby slid out of the mother’s angry gaze and into the kitchen. Taking a breath she focused her attention from the agonizing pain back to her husband.
“I said where’ve been?” she questioned again, this time with a little more anger. 
“Drinking milk” he replied, holding up the bottle in his left hand.
Before she could counter his sarcasm, he walked past her and into the kitchen.  With and angry lunge, she went to reach for the bottle that was in his hand, but fell short. She landed on the baby’s walker which rolled onto his feet. The bottle tape flew, the bottle soon followed, the screw finally gave way and all of a sudden there was a loud scream.