The Transplant | Teen Ink

The Transplant

By percyjackson13 BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
percyjackson13 BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas

Joey had a wonderful dad who tried so hard to take care of him. Joey was sick. He had a rare form of bone cancer. Joey had to take a lot of medicine and treatments. He had to take shots for pain. The chemo was to try to kill the cancer. He was on a waiting list for a bone marrow transplant.   John was joey’s dad. John was thirty-one year old man. He was a single dad. And he loved his son.                

Joey looked just like his dad. They both had brown hair and green eyes. They had similar personalities. They both loved to laugh. John would help Joey try to get better. He would give joey shots for pain. John would always say “be still.it is not going to hurt.” He has to take chemo to kill the cancer. It made him very sick.           

They were on a waiting on a donor that matches his blood type. John wanted to take his son to a football game. But they did not have the money. One day somebody called john and said “hello this is the make a wish foundation. And we heard your son has bone cancer. We would like to make one of your son’s wishes come true.” John was so happy he said “thank you and my son’s wish is to go to a football game and get a signed football.”         

They said “we can make that come true.” They hung up and john went the stairs.to tell his son. He opened the door and said “wake up we are going to a football game in a few hours.” They got ready and were outside by the time the limo got there.        

They got in and found a TV saying turn on. They turned it on and they saw a bunch of people yelling “get well soon Joey.”  Joey started crying. They got to the football game and got front row seats.  They enjoyed it so much. They got to go down and meet some of the football players and. They got a signed football with ever football player’s signature.        

They got to ride the football bus. It was an amazing ride. The football team took them out to eat. And they had the most amazing night since they found out that joey had cancer. When they got home from everything they did that night it was one in the morning. They stayed up a little while longer. Joey went to bed first and john followed shortly after. John got up later. That day and discover that he has a message on the answering machine. He clicked play and a voice said “good news we have found a donor for your boy’s transplant call us at your earliest convenience.” John was so happy he rushed up stairs to wake up his son. He opened the door and said “son wake up I got good news.”  Joey didn’t say a word. John walked up to Joey and put his hand on him. He was cold and lifeless. He broke out in tears as he knew his son had lost his battle.