All the Different Colors | Teen Ink

All the Different Colors

December 16, 2008
By MelanieWashburn SILVER, Weatherford, Texas
MelanieWashburn SILVER, Weatherford, Texas
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The day after mama and papa took off to Vegas, Grandma died. Maybe I should have cried, but I couldn’t feel anything. They wouldn’t let me see her, said I was too young. But they let my brother in, or well, her son. We weren’t related at all, but he lived with my grandparents in the attic. I didn’t like calling him my brother, he was only a year older than me, barely. His birthday was in January and mine was in November. The day he turned 16 he took me out to the lake and told me what everything looked like. All the colors, what white water looked like. He had never treated me any different because I was blind. Neither did Grandma. The first time I went to stay with Grandma and Grandpa I hadn’t visited them in 6 years, he was twelve and I was eleven. Grandma let me run free in her house without limits. My mother slapped her for it, insisting there were things I could not do because I was blind. But I guess my Mama wasn’t too concerned because she left me with Grandma, Grandpa, and Matt for 3 months. I guess she decided she missed me one night, because she showed up and took me away. Three days later Grandpa called me, and he told me they would sue for custody if I wanted them too.





They did


It took all this time, but the final hearing had sided in Grandma and Grandpas favor. Mama and Papa just took off after that. I guess they didn’t feel like fighting for me anymore. Mama didn’t even say goodbye. Maybe it was ok that I never knew what Mama or Papa looked like.



You can’t miss what you don’t see.