All the Different Colors | Teen Ink

All the Different Colors

By MelanieWashburn SILVER, Weatherford, Texas
MelanieWashburn SILVER, Weatherford, Texas

The day after mama and papa took off to Vegas, Grandma died. Maybe I should have cried, but I couldn’t feel anything. They wouldn’t let me see her, said I was too young. But they let my brother in, or well, her son. We weren’t related at all, but he lived with my grandparents in the attic. I didn’t like calling him my brother, he was only a year older than me, barely. His birthday was in January and mine was in November. The day he turned 16 he took me out to the lake and told me what everything looked like. All the colors, what white water looked like. He had never treated me any different because I was blind. Neither did Grandma. The first time I went to stay with Grandma and Grandpa I hadn’t visited them in 6 years, he was twelve and I was eleven. Grandma let me run free in her house without limits. My mother slapped her for it, insisting there were things I could not do because I was blind. But I guess my Mama wasn’t too concerned because she left me with Grandma, Grandpa, and Matt for 3 months. I guess she decided she missed me one night, because she showed up and took me away. Three days later Grandpa called me, and he told me they would sue for custody if I wanted them too.

They did

It took all this time, but the final hearing had sided in Grandma and Grandpas favor. Mama and Papa just took off after that. I guess they didn’t feel like fighting for me anymore. Mama didn’t even say goodbye. Maybe it was ok that I never knew what Mama or Papa looked like.

You can’t miss what you don’t see.

sonJaNae said...
sonJaNae, Fort Wainwright, Alaska

"No one can change a person, but someone can be a person's reason to change" -Spongebob Squarepants

Really Nice!!! A mix of things that kept me on edge! I loved it :D It would be great if you could check out my work! Any comments or ratings would be very appreciated!!

Thank you, I appriciate the feed back.

on Aug. 3 2011 at 6:45 am
Ayushi_austen BRONZE, Kolkata, Other

I love my past. I love my present. I’m not ashamed of what I’ve had, and I’m not sad because I have it no longer...

W.O.W ..the ending really made an impact!!!and the part abt being blind simply added a very beautiful layer to the story...i <3ed it!! 

care said...
i really felt for your characters i wanted to keep reading

Reigyn said...
Reigyn, Toronto, Other

"Dance like no one is watching, love like you'll never be hurt,sing like no one is listening,and live like it's heaven on earth."- William Purkey
As we struggle to make sense of things, life looks on in repose. ~Author Unknown

ohmigod i lovei it. you caught me from the first sentence. good job!