Run or Die | Teen Ink

Run or Die

September 24, 2014
By Juyoung SILVER, Matthews, North Carolina
Juyoung SILVER, Matthews, North Carolina
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I am running away from two young-adult men equipped with guns, ready to fire it when I make any sort of movement. I recklessly run, trying to dodge away from the blistering bullets; it’s impossible. I am in front of the door, going through my countless keys. I almost drop them, making clingy noise, but I manage to get ahold of my keys and open the life or death door. Quickly locking it and dropping my mouth, backing away from the battlefront that divides the safe and menacing worlds.  
“Bang! Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Bang!”  The ear-splitting noise commences and seems to be never-ending. Finally, the silence flows into the house, and right then, I see that the door is standing ajar. My rosy cheeks turns pale, and my smooth legs are with full of goose bumps. Now, I am thinking momentarily, “Where is my family?” I am looking around the first floor, to find nothing. Then, I sprint up the stairs. Through the colossal window, I see two unidentifiable men walking toward my house, firing the auto machine at the front part. I enter a room and found my family. We are heading down stairs. Chaos consume our house; deleterious air from outside coming in rapidly along with those two men. They look familiar- I know them! Maybe that is why I am afraid. Maybe that is why I am wondering what misdeed I committed to them to have this situation occur at this moment.
“Grace!” I think I heard something, but I am not so sure. “Grace! Come on!” I think that is mom’s voice, but the mysterious voice still isn’t clear enough to hear who and where it is coming from. My vision is becoming blurry to none at all.
I open my eyes and can hardly catch my breath. I feel as if my body was petrified while I was dreaming. That night while I do my rigorous Pre-Calculus homework, I go on YouTube. On the front cover are highly viewed videos, one of them being “A Nine Year Old Girl Shoots, Kills Gun Instructor By Fully Automatic Submachine VZI.” I can still feel my goose bumps on my arms.