Undefeated | Teen Ink

Undefeated

August 9, 2014
By GraffitiQueen BRONZE, Ganemulla, Other
GraffitiQueen BRONZE, Ganemulla, Other
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

“Alexandra Smith please report to my office immediately”, the announcement rang.Mr.Kruse, our geometry teacher peered over this oversized round glasses in grim satisfaction.” Alexandra you are wanted”, he says coldly.”Mr. Kruse my hearing is perfectly allright”, I snap back at him.”Allright ladies I'm off”, I make a smart move towards the door, leaving the rest of the class giggling. Through the partially tinted black glass I see Mr. Kruse let out a long frustrated sigh. I'm impossible and impatient.

I walk cool till the end of the long corridor enjoying the silent walk. Suddenly lightened up by the idea of causing more scandal make a quick run for the principal’s door and rattled it with all my might till the irritated faced secretary, Ms.Violet appeared. “Sit outside. You will be called soon”, she hissed. I grinned “you are violet as ever”, I reply sticking my tongue out rudely before she even had time to close the door on my face.
I sit outside waiting for her to call me in. I kick off my boots and lean back on the chair twirling the thick fringe of red hair. I had appalled the mean old b**** coming to school dying my hair ketchup red and even more when a few others followed my example. I take out my cell phone, type a quick text to my mom: In trouble. Btr mke tym to fetch me frm school. XOXO Alex. And hit send. A second later the same ginger face appears at the door “Alexandra Smith you are called in”, she says.”What else am I here for”, I say tartly and push past her into the office.
“ALEXANDRA SMITH!!!”, She almost screamed it at my face.”Yeah?”, I ask twitching an eyebrow making sure to emphasize the stud on it. She gave a withered look and took in a deep breath. “Sit down”, she finally tells. She pulls out my file and opens.”Mr. Kruse tells me that you were threatening him, is that true?”. “No of course not, I was just demanding my rights”.”Excuse me Alex could you make yourself clearer?”.”Well..., I say fidgeting with the charms on my wrist,” after all we pay for this crap right, I mean we can choose to study what we want and drop out the rest. I don’t study here for charity to learn what pleases you guys”, I ask trying to sound offended.
“Alex think about this, you come into this school five months back and during that time how many times have you been given detentions, suspensions and have been called to my office?”,she ask. “Count it yourself” I say. “I see no improvement in your behaviour. You come up with something more reckless each time. The tantrum you threw up in the cafeteria yesterday was smart enough. We've never handled such embarrassing situations in our school before”.” Well I'm giving you more experience then”, I throw my head back and laugh.”Mr. Kruse says that you threatened to stab him if he didn't leave you alone. Don’t you understand that he’s concerned about his students?”
“Well I never knew he took idle threats so seriously, that’s hilarious Mrs.Schofield I don’t like him or the subject and he knows that well enough but he keeps on taunting me with the same thing. Doesn't he see the rest of the thirty nine kids in the class?, I asked quite pissed.
“Alex you went up to the extent of pointing a pen knife at him. I’ll not stand that non sense any more. I'm sorry about your mother and I hope you’ll do better in another school....”
My mom breaks in. Her face flushed and tired .Mrs. Schofield gives her the same lecture.”But… but you can’t possibly expel her”, my mom begs. I hate it when she does that.”I'm sorry Mrs. Smith but your daughter as you know smashed a boy’s face clean on the wall and he had to be hospitalized with severe nose bleeding, she vandalized an entire corridor with spray cans, she threw water on a teacher, she rioted the entire grade against the school, violates the dress code, Caught trying to sneak peroxide from the lab for some dangerous thing I guess, tried to pierce herself inside a wash room, hacked the school software….”. My mom shuts her mouth defeated. The list was endless.”The girl sure has brains but she uses it for the wrong”, she retorts.
“Alex why can’t you behave like a normal kid?, Mom looks at me red with rage. The principle’s poison slowly spreading through her brain, brainwashing her.”I'm sorry Mrs. Smith”, she says shifting uncomfortably in her seat “I have noticed her talent in a lot of school activities but on behalf of the school I'm compelled to expel her”, and she produces the leaving certificate and hands it over to my mom with several other documents.
“Chill mom it’s not the end of the world”, I say heading out of the office. She drives home in grim silence. “Sit down Alex we need to talk”, she commands her lips set in a thin line.Oh no! Not the guilty talk…”Alex please ... I’m trying so hard to give the best to you why aren't you concerned. What are you in short of? I give you everything most teenagers of your age are dying to have. Alex you need to get over your parents’ separation you just can’t go on doing your freak shows in every schools that takes you in. He did walk out on us Alex but he never stopped loving you. What did all his messages, calls and presents mean to you? Nothing! Please understand why do you make it so hard for everyone?”
“It’s not the same any more mom even though you pretend it to be”, I'm screaming now.”Learn to live through it Alex. I'm going through so much just to give you a better life. We have out moments but...”, she breaks down mid sentence and covers her face with her hands crying.
Stricken with guilt, I walk over to her.”Mom?”, I shake her shoulder. Only tears wetted my hand.”Mom, no reply. Guilt had completely overtaken me now. All these years she had tried, tried to make up for the loss of a dad, but I had backed off insensitive to her pain and effort. “Please mom look at me”, only silence.
I walk to my room, take framed photo hung on the wall of the three of us. Things were so cool and less complicated back then. The three of us a happy family. I kneel on the floor standing the photograph on my bed.”I’ll give up mom, I’ll try my best. I’ll stop being a freak and get good grades like I used to do. I’ll get over and leave the past behind. I ‘m sorry it took so long to realize but one day mom, I’m gonna make you proud!”.