The Musical Sunrise in Guadeloupe | Teen Ink

The Musical Sunrise in Guadeloupe

July 27, 2014
By kwharris BRONZE, Cambridge, Maryland
kwharris BRONZE, Cambridge, Maryland
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is the will of the less fortunate to fight for the preservation of life. (Author Unknown)


As the sun slowly escalates over the tropical canopies of the beautiful island of Guadeloupe, a businessman smokes a cigarette out on the balcony of the moderate rooming arrangements where he and his musically inclined comrades have been residing for the week. On the balcony, the silence of the dawn allows him to hear the exceptionally exquisite echoes of music from the previous night’s performance. The prestigious choir, whom this man had the irreplaceable opportunity to participate with, just sang at the Grand Cathedral of Saint Peter and Saint Paul. He steps forward and peeks over the balcony, and for a while he embraces the warm rays of the Caribbean’s morning sun. He then takes a step back, and effortlessly finds comfort in some cool shade that was parceled throughout the balcony by reason of the progression of the same morning sun. The man takes the last drag off his cigarette and disposes of it. Now in some state of well-being, he realizes that he is the only choir member awake and decides to light another cigarette. He takes a few puffs and closes his eyes.
With his eyes closed and the glorious sounds of the music still hanging from his earlobes with immense weight, he can now explicitly visualize the performance in which he participated. The choir conductor was working at her finest to appropriately acquire the desired sound. The audience had to search for the source of the glowing melody; for the choir was not singing in front of them but behind them, high up on the balcony of the cathedral. The sound that the choir emitted was so radiant and uplifting that all who witnessed the priceless moment were transcended to be more virtuous. The music was compared to the sound of angels, rejoicing unto the Lord. Now, as the silence of dawn fades due to the arousal of the seemingly resilient island so does the musical echoes. The man plucks the ashes from his cigarette and opens his eyes.
Then, from some reasonable unknown desire, he begins to deliberate on the accomplishment he has achieved by simply being in Guadeloupe and doing what he loves to do. It amazed him to see how far life can take a man from where he comes, and simultaneously enlightens him to his true aspirations. He suddenly hears a rustle from the main room and quickly disposes of his cigarette. Through his nostrils, he inhales deeply the tropical air of Guadeloupe, and knows it is unlike any other. With his bags already packed and his priorities in order, the businessman is prepared to go home and to accomplish more great achievements. He is prepared to never forget the sun and how seemingly musical and majestic its rays are reavealed and float up past the tropical canopies of Guadeloupe.


The author's comments:
Inspired by a recent trip to Guadeloupe