The Song and Dance of Shadows and Secrets | Teen Ink

The Song and Dance of Shadows and Secrets

By L_Cee BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
L_Cee BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

The brisk, night air stirred and prodded the leaves, inciting a graceful dance. They swirled, spun, and leapt in a rhythmic pattern in the obscurity. Their shadows joined them, becoming a mirage of jade and onyx. With the stars as their audience, and the moon as their spotlight, their lithe bodies careened and swayed as they continued to waltz to the wind's wistful song.
"It's late,'' he said to the girl beside him. The two ambled under the screen of the dark sky.
She glanced at him, but did not reply. Her gaze fell onto her hands which were clasped tightly in front of her.
A fierce gust caused them both to shudder as the leaves pranced around them.
At length, the girl replied, "It has always been the three of us."
''I know."
They both paused to remember the long talks, and numerous adventures that they shared with their companion. They recalled that infectious laughter and liveliness that had made that friend such a treasure.
"It's such a shame that he had to go," he said flatly. "I guess it couldn't be avoided." He thrusted his hands into his pockets, shielding them from the waft of frigid air.
"Tonight reminds of that night," her voice was low, pensive. ''It was dark, and windy. I remember that the two of us left work late, but he had decided to wait for us outside. I was shocked to see him. But he was so cheerful, even on such a chilly night."
"I think deep down I knew that it was coming," his voice faltered a bit.
The girl simply nodded in agreement.
"If only he had came to us first, maybe we could've..." her sentence trailed off while her thoughts drifted.
As the the two of them reminisced, they eventually come to a pause at the end the street. It was here that they stood observing the performance of the wind and shadowy leaves with their beloved friend. They can still clearly see the face that beamed brightly at the spectacle before them. That was the night when the high pitched screeching of sirens in the distance disrupted their reverie. The beautiful night song was marred by hysterical weeping and infuriated cries. Yet, they can still remember that radiant smile in the darkness. At last, those verdant dancers and their illusive partners became static, and the wind fell silent. Their enchanting play had ended.

A story about the corruption in/of good people. Can it be avoided? Maybe there are no good people. I'm not sure, but maybe you'll be encouraged to think about. Thanks.