My uncle and God | Teen Ink

My uncle and God

By Pamezquita1233 BRONZE, Clemmons, North Carolina
Pamezquita1233 BRONZE, Clemmons, North Carolina

They said drugs began my destructive path. I never shared my thoughts, because I used to think they were probably right. At the age of sixteen though, my parents ceased to exist, so no, it wasn’t the drugs.
She said God required of my parents in his heaven. I never recall a time where I enjoyed religion, so that is surely why I surmised he was a fake. My grandmother kept staring, and my grandpa had those wrinkles that only appeared with stress. I replied that if God wanted my parents, he would’ve been nicer and asked.
For a while I chose to believe in him; perhaps it would bring me the joy of being a kid again. That is why I prayed every single night, over my “Mary the Virgin” candle, a gift from my very catholic aunt Susan. Yes, when you are sixteen, your parents have just died, and you don’t believe in God, you pray with him. I prayed for silence most of all because even though the crickets outside the window were the only sound, I still heard my grandparents crying in the next room; that and it had been raining for the past couple of days. Two weeks I knelt down, next to my bed, with my scrawny sixteen year old hands. God didn’t bring them back, and I decided my family was a scam.
After the whole religious breakdown, the family visited more often. They said they came to see me but the empty cups of coffee, and the sound of laughter coming all the way from the living room differed. During one of the dreaded visits my uncle came, and he took me outside. A dust storm had just hit the area. The land was dry and I knew what it was, but something about being a boy in the middle of nowhere with religious issues made me ask all sorts of questions. Sometimes I wished I could believe in God because then, even when I knew he wasn’t the cause for a lot of things, I would’ve gotten answers. I inhaled a wisp of air, and asked
“Why is the soil eroding?”
He responded, and I will never forget the twitch in his eye when he said this,
“It’s your parents crawling out of hell.”
My uncle was a drunk.

I'ts not that he wasnt real, it's just that he wasn't physically here, so I didn't think he was some sort of saviour.

on Aug. 15 2014 at 2:41 pm
thank you so much :) it it really hard, but i do believe in god. just thought how it would be with someone of a different perspective 

on Aug. 15 2014 at 2:40 pm
thank you so much for the comment; I do agree with the grammar bit. I made sure to fix it as best as i could. Ive been working on my grammar though. :)

Paula said...
on Aug. 15 2014 at 2:53 am
Thank you so much. I don't really think it was my best but thank you so so so much

on Aug. 14 2014 at 8:22 am
kingofwriters BRONZE, DeWitt, Michigan

"Books are a uniquely portable magic." - Stephen King

I love books, and I love technology, but I don't want to see the latter overwhelm the former. I just think books are meant to be pages you turn, not screens you scroll through.

Really perceptive and engaging piece! I'm also glad it's fictional, because if someone actually said something that horrible to you after your parents died...yeah, you get the idea. I personally do believe in God, but I can understand other people's reasons for not believing when tragedies like that occur...

on Aug. 13 2014 at 8:01 pm
readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

I agree, I'm also glad it's fictional :) but you did a great job making me believe it was real (until I read the comments).  Some of the grammar stuff was a little confusing, but it also adds to the piece's charm.  The sudden ending bothered me at first, but I read it again and I really liked it :) overall, it's a great piece!

on Aug. 9 2014 at 2:47 am
Otero725 BRONZE, Huntington Park, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Lose one friend. Lose all friends. Lose yourself.

Your words were very powerful! just curious, how did you pour your soul onto this excerpt? :)

on Jul. 7 2014 at 10:01 pm
Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

Thanks for the advice. :) And I am very glad this is fictional lol

on Jul. 7 2014 at 12:35 pm
thank you for the comment it truly means a lot. On regards to your father, I hope you keep your head up all the time and never look down. Dont let people get the satisfaction of bringing you down. You are probably wonderful, oh and by the way this was a ficitonal paper, It didnt happen, but I agree sometimes when bad things occurr its really hard to find a god to believe in. :)

on Jul. 7 2014 at 12:05 pm

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

wow that was really powerful, especially towards the ending. I remember feeling that way, like God didn't care or exist when my great grandmother died. I beleive that he is somewhere, and that one day we'll realize that. And from this story, it's not as if you didn't try. Trying isn't what makes you believe.                  Did your uncle actually say that? I'm truly sorry that he did, my dad says mean things to me all the time when he's drunk, so I wouldn't take it personally.