Caribbean Escape | Teen Ink

Caribbean Escape

By MotivatedWriter BRONZE, Erie, Colorado
MotivatedWriter BRONZE, Erie, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

The hickory stained wood creaked as Abigail shifted her weight on the gangway. Instead of admiring the massive ship, she was thinking if she had packed the right swimsuit for the cruise. The wood creaking from her stance on the walkway, made her feel even more overweight than she already felt. Her mind rewinded as she replayed situations from high school in her preoccupied mind.
She sat self-conscious at the football game as the self-assured cheerleaders showed off their bodies. Abigail sat there with her recent boyfriend, as he reminded her, “You are perfect the way you are.”
Abigail was startled back to reality, when a resplendent lei of orchids, tuberose, and plumerias was laid around her neck. As she admired the pleasing flowers, she absent mindedly played with her engagement ring hugging her finger. She smiled as she glanced over to Tanner as he kissed her gently on her forehead.
The sky illuminated as the sun went beyond the horizon. Abigail and Tanner followed the bellhop as he escorted them to room 713.
“This is perfect. Thank you,” Tanner said as he handed a tip to the bellhop.

“What would you like to do babe?” Tanner spoke as he unpacked his chartreuse Eagle Creek suitcase.

“I just want to go walk around on the deck.” Abigail proposed, “You can stay here if you want.”

Abigail ambled out of the room and walked down the cushioned, squared carpet. As she walked up the stairs, she carefully held the balustrade in hopes of keeping her footing against the forceful wind. On the uppermost deck, pool noodles, lounge chairs, and tables lined the perimeter.

Abigail took a seat on one of the lounge chairs at the bow of the ship, as a gust of wind swept through the deck. Beside her, a man, about the same age as her, was reading Call of the Wild under an illuminating light with a Seagram’s Ginger Ale in his hand. The pages of the book flipped back and forth and agitated the silence on the deck.

The logo on the ginger ale, reminded Abigail that years ago, her mother would stare dismayed, seeing another soda can. Her mother would say, “You need to stop drinking that.”
A wave hitting the bow of the ship awakened Abigail from her trance.

The wind whistled as the strand of string holding the flowers flew through the air like a dove on a graceful day. The man ran to the bow of the ship as his fingers gripped the lei. The man turned and tied the lei around Abigail’s neck.
“Thank you!” Abigail said.
“No, thank you. You look quite stunning,” the man said.
“What is your name?” Abigail said as she noticed he looked vaguely familiar, but she couldn’t place where she knew him.
“Nick.”
“Nick, I knew it was you! What brings you on the cruise?” Abigail inquired.
“We’re celebrating my father’s retirement.” Nick said.
“How has your family been? I haven’t seen you in years!” Abigail smiled.
“Pretty good!” Nick smirked.
“Oh that’s good!”
Abigail couldn’t keep back the urge to bring up their past relationship.
“Where were you when I needed you most?” Abigail said.
“I am so sorry Abigail. The last thing I wanted to do was leave you! You completed my life and I would never risk your safety. Before I disappeared, a man walked up to me and threatened to kill you if I didn’t leave. I would NEVER leave you!” Nick said.
“Who was the man that told you to leave? I freaked out when you disappeared.” Abigail said.

Tanner rudely interrupted their conversation and looked through the decks for Abigail.
“Abigail! Where are you?” Tanner yelled as he searched for his fiancé.
Tanner walked up the stairs to see Abigail and Nick.

“Abigail, what are you doing? I have been looking for you.” Tanner asked Abigail.

“Tanner, meet one of my friends from high school. Tanner, meet Nick.”

“Nice to meet you Nick.” Tanner said as Abigail could see them exchanging scams.

“Do you two know each other?” Abigail asked.

“Of course not Abigail. I think we need to go now. Have a good night Nick.” Tanner said.

Abigail and Tanner ambled back to room 713. Nick secretly followed, keeping a close eye on Abigail. Nick looked at the room number to see that 713 correlated to July 13, the day he disappeared.
Tanner must have requested this room to remind himself that he won my most valuable possession: Abigail. Nick thought.

Abigail followed Tanner into the room as Abigail walked to the sink and replenished her face with the sample products. As Abigail splashed the water against her clear skin, the shelf fell. Following, something hit the wall and Abigail rushed to see what had happened.

Abigail walked into the hall to see Tanner and Nick, both looking surprised to see Abigail’s presence.

“What just happened?!” Abigail said.

“Nothing honey. You can go back inside.” Tanner said.

“I am not going back inside until you guys tell me, what’s the deal between you two?” Abigail said.

“It is nothing Abigail, go back inside!” Tanner scowled.

“No, Abigail stay here. On the deck, when I told you I had to go because someone threatened to kill you. Well, it was Tanner. He wanted you for himself. He changed his name after high school from Gabriel Ellis, so he didn’t have to remind himself about his past. He always saw us walking in the hall and wanted to be homecoming king, like I was. He wanted to be noticed and feel good about himself! One day, he told me he liked you and I laughed. That’s when he started this grudge against me. Ever since then he has wanted to prove me wrong and show me, someone like him can get you. I would never lie to you!” Nick said.

“You know what Tanner? We are done!” Abigail said as she threw her engagement ring and leaned towards to Nick.