Instances This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It took me 15 years and 364 days to turn 16, three tries to pass my driving test, and several months of nonsense to finally earn the right to drive on my own.

It takes a song and a half to get out of the school’s hellish parking lot at the end of the day, until the second chorus of “Sweet Child O’ Mine” to reach the first traffic light, and more or less half of any album in my collection to get home.

It takes an instant to lose everything.

Not one of those commercial instants either: Lose ten pounds instantly! Regrow a full head of hair in an instant! In an instant, that troublesome fungus will disappear! When those people use the word instant, it means at least a minute, or, if they don’t mind lying to the public, days or more. I don’t imply, and I don’t lie. When I use the word instant, I mean a fraction of a second. I mean less than a heartbeat.

I mean my head through the windshield, my mouth still open from singing along to whatever song I was listening to the instant before.

It wasn’t even my fault, not really. I suppose I could have chosen a safer car, but when deciding between a bunch of safety features I might never even need and CDs I would absolutely want in the next year or two, my judgment was not at its best. I blame the economy, and the constant civil war between heart and head. I blame The Killers for coming out with a new album every five minutes, and statistics that say I would probably never die in a crash anyway.

Come to think of it, the accident wasn’t even the other driver’s fault. I would probably run a red light if I were late for a dentist appointment too. Maybe not one at a busy intersection, but who’s to say it wasn’t a really important appointment? Perhaps he was getting a new filling. Yeah, I’d race across the road with no regard for traffic in my 2004 pickup for that, too, especially if there was nothing in my way except a wimpy ’98 Civic. Because I would be the only person on the road. Every other car would be driven by a robot, a drone that doesn’t matter in my world. The only thing that would matter to me is being on time for my appointment.

Like him, I too would be surprised when, after stepping out of my barely scratched vehicle, I saw the other car scrunched up like an accordion, like a piece of paper balled up and thrown against the side of the street. I would be shocked to see blood on the shards of glass strewn about the pavement because apparently I hadn’t realized running that light meant plowing into the Civic, which would lead to crushing the 17-year-old inside it. The 17-year-old who just wanted to listen to The Smiths while driving home.

Maybe I’m being too bitter about all of it. After all, the other driver did stand by while someone else called 911, waited patiently while the paramedics extricated me from my mangled vehicle, and even went through the trouble of leaving a note of apology beside my bed in the hospital. I, of course, wouldn’t know of his contributions to my well-being until after I woke up from the coma a week and a half later.

I sure hope his dentist was a good sport about rescheduling.

LexJulion said...
Jun. 8, 2009 at 4:05 pm:
Your a very talented writer. Can you read my fiction novel?

Theresa This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 2, 2009 at 3:20 pm:
This was really, really intriguing. The wit and sarcasm of the main character really made the story perfect. I adored the ending. Great, great job.

WordLover said...
May 31, 2009 at 12:29 am:
That was really awesome; so original and unique. Great work!

lizgirl22 said...
May 30, 2009 at 4:07 pm:
amazing details!

BriarRose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 29, 2009 at 12:45 am:
Ah-Mazing =]

awesomeaugustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 19, 2009 at 4:36 pm:
Really amazing. It definitetly deserved to get published.

Voice said...
May 14, 2009 at 1:17 am:
I feel like I know this person

Dillen C. said...
May 13, 2009 at 7:01 pm:
I like i it made me sad i have to been in a crash like that.
keep up the good work

MoonLightBelladonna said...
May 13, 2009 at 3:26 pm:
i enjoyed this story very much! well done :)

:PBUBBLES:P said...
May 13, 2009 at 3:24 pm:
AWESOME!!! It's so amazing, the sarcasm, the way you don't tell us at all what happened until almost the very end. I like the way you end talking about his dentist appointment, not the car crash, and the way you used the songs to tell time. All in all, a very graphic picture. Love it! Can you read my poetry?

henryjamesfun said...
May 13, 2009 at 7:26 am:
I love your story

Chrissy L. said...
May 11, 2009 at 9:13 pm:
I love how much is inferred. The dentist and the other driver's reaction, it adds color and character to someone you otherwise can't describe. This is really a litterary master piece!

mmfdg623 said...
May 5, 2009 at 1:28 am:
I really liked your story. I loved the sarcasm in it, and all of the details you put in it to bring us into the character's mind.

:) said...
May 3, 2009 at 4:37 pm:
-Claps; Bravo!<3

miss.independent said...
May 3, 2009 at 1:28 pm:
Very good. I liked it