I Don't Want Your Sandwich | Teen Ink

I Don't Want Your Sandwich

May 14, 2014
By TrystanJ GOLD, Minneapolis, Minnesota
TrystanJ GOLD, Minneapolis, Minnesota
14 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination takes you EVERYWHERE"--Albert Einstein
"I'd rather be dead than cool..." --Kurt Cobain
"Trying to be someone you're not is a waste of the person you are" --Kurt Cobain


Ham-- 123 calories in every three ounces. American Cheese-- 104 calories in one single slice. Mayonnaise-- 188 calories in two small tablespoons. Bread-- 281 calories per slice, a total of 562 calories if I decide to eat it in the prepared manner of your little sandwich. Are you seriously asking me to eat 977 calories? Are you serious?

I'm the one you used to call fat in elementary school whenever I asked for your extra side of pudding. So I stopped eating pudding altogether out of shame. Cut out 340 calories. You should be proud.

I'm the one you used to call fat in middle school because I always ate everything all my plate. It didn't matter if it was just four chicken nuggets. A side of corn. Sometimes a scoop of mashed potatoes. I ate it too 'happily', you had said. Like I was excited to shove my face full. So I stopped eating the potatoes. I stopped eating all the corn. I even cut down to two of the four nuggets. imagine how many calories that got rid of. You should be proud.

--But you're not. Why aren't you proud? I did my research, I did my counting, I eat 600 measly calories in a day. If I eat anything more I think I'll die. I puke too much, I shiver too hard. --But it doesn't matter. At least I think it doesn't.

Now I'm suddenly the girl you call a skeleton in high school. So what if my thighs don't touch? You only laughed at me when they did. So what if you can see all my ribs? I used to jiggle too much, according to you. So what if I can't stand too long? So what if I don't grow that tall? Didn't matter to you then. Why does it matter to you now?

I'm the fatty, the lard ass, the one who blocked out the sun. The jiggly puff character that wiggled too much. I'm ugly, unwanted, and too big to score. So keep your dumb sandwich, I don't want it anymore.


The author's comments:
I don't have an actual eating disorder. I just think this is a topic that needs to be understood and needs to be discussed. I think this is a very sad thing and I just wanted to shed some light on it. A personal friend of mine does this '600 Calorie A Day' diet. And I just want to show how terrible it's been for her in my own way. Feedback is appreciated.