Unique Like a Fingerprint | Teen Ink

Unique Like a Fingerprint

By abrielle meyer BRONZE, El Paso, Texas
abrielle meyer BRONZE, El Paso, Texas

The gentle crashes of waves washing onto the newly formed cusps in the sand awaken the ageless girl, who was engulfed in a sea of dreams. She groggily arises from her disheveled bed and walks towards the closed window. Slowly the window opens and her mesmerizing blue eyes are greeted by the fog rolling out over the endless expansion of water. A smile begun to emerge on her pure face as she flails out her arms, exclaiming “Good morning, Huntington Beach!”

As the breeze whisks through the window, it sends chills down her spine. Quickly she closes the window and changes into yoga pants and a sweater softer than wool, remembering to pack a bathing suit and an outfit for later in the day in her tope Aztec-patterned bag. Grabbing her turquoise flip-flops, she heads out the door to her favorite spot down by the pier. As she walks along, her feet sink into the sand and she stretches out her toes so that the sand can surround them.

She opens her tope Aztec bag and pulling out a lengthy towel, covers the infinite grains of sand. Gracefully, like a bird on a branch, she perches herself onto the towel. She waits patiently for the arrival of her friend, Kenny. As usual he arrives punctually with a smile larger than a crescent moon on his face. “Good morning, beautiful! I just can’t wait to meditate and allow my soul to become more connected to the universe as a whole; you know this is probably my favorite part of the day. I just love life so much and ca--” Her mind begins to wander; she just cannot even begin to comprehend how Kenny is always so happy and positive about every little thing in his life. She loves being around him because she can feel the positive vibes shining from him like the rays off the sun. In a way he has become her sunshine, her source of light.

Almost simultaneously, as if they were connected, the two sit down in the full lotus position and meditate in silence for an hour; freeing the mind to wander as it pleases exploring the endless possibilities of life.

After meditation they eat a breakfast consisting of fruit smoothies and scrambled eggs. Kenny’s radiant eyes softly observe the ageless girl as she tells him about how her life has changed from seeing doubt to seeing an ocean of courage. They say their goodbyes, and she pulls out her mini-laptop to complete some homework for her last ever class in college, which just happened to require loads of writing, which she doesn’t particularly fancy.

She goes into the tiny antique bathroom to change into her bathing suit. Around noon is her favorite time of the day to swim. It is right about the time that the fog has cleared, and the sky is bursting with blues and sunlight. It’s also the time when all the surfers are catching waves in there skintight black wet-suits; she finds it quite amusing, their attempts to ride a wave but instead appearing similar to baby penguins flopping around in the water.

As her toe dips into the water, a shock of cold surges her body as if to say “wake up,” it’s always her favorite part because it is so refreshing. Quickly her body adapts to the water and she begins body surfing the waves. Traveling within the wave to the shore makes her feel as if she is one with the water.

When she emerges from the water she takes a nap at the beach, then sunbathes, until around three o’clock. She takes out a purple brush and brushes the tangles out of her long, golden curls. Her hair forms perfect ringlets as it falls right above her waist. She goes to a low-profile sandwich place owned by her good friend; to get a turkey and cheddar cheese sandwich drenched in hot sauce and get freshened up for the street fair tonight.

She could sit there for hours on end talking to Millie. Millie’s words sound like music to her soul; she always knows exactly what to say, or the perfect joke to crack to make that never ending laugh come bursting out of her mouth. Finally, around 5:30 she says goodbye to Millie and heads off to the street fair.

She can taste the powdered sugar in the air; with every breath she takes she’s bombarded by hundreds of smells. She hears the pounding of a bongo drum, and the first thing she thinks of is Kenny. He always comes down to the street fair on Monday night to spread his smiles through music. By now he’s midway through her personal favorite song. She joins the little group that resembles penguins huddled together to keep warm and starts dancing without a care in the world to the beat of the bongos. She looks as if the drum is beating to her heart because she is so perfectly in-sync with the song.

After a few more positive vibes are shared through his tunes they walk around the fair visiting their favorite stands. Her all-time favorite is one that sells deep fried mini-doughnuts from the second she walks up to the stand her mouth begins to fill with saliva. The tall, dark skinned person running the stand knows what she wants by heart because even though she hates to admit it this is the one place she goes to every Monday night.

The rest of the night turns into a blur, and the last thing she remembers is taking off her jacket as she flops onto her warm bed and is engulfed into her sea of dreams.