Prom? | Teen Ink

Prom?

By SabrinaMarie BRONZE, Faribault, Minnesota
SabrinaMarie BRONZE, Faribault, Minnesota

'"We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid, so are regrets." ~ Marilyn Monroe

Chris always loved playing practical jokes. He knows I like Kathleen. “Seriously Chris, was that really necessary?”
“Of course it was!” he smirked. “I knew there was no way in hell you were ever going to give her as little as a hint! Believe me, it had to be done.”
“Well thanks a lot dude. She probably thinks I am the biggest goon ever.” I couldn’t stop staring at it. He seriously put a banner in her doorway. My chances with her are officially killed, dead, gone, and any other destructive word you could list. I am definitely going to kill him.
This may be one of the most nerve-racking moments of my life. In what case does Chris actually think this cheesy nonsense is good?! I can’t take this suspense… Maybe if I show up at her door tomorrow before school like I really did it, she will take me seriously. No, who am I kidding? She’s my best friend; she would never take me seriously... I’m not going to worry about it. I’m going to get some sleep.
I woke up with an unbearable knot in my stomach. It seems to be impossible to calm myself down. I’ve never been so worried. I must really like her… The repetition of the nightmare I had about this is never-ending in my head. Why would she go with me when there are better guys all over? Let’s just get this over with. I get in the car and turn on the radio. Lucky me, it’s her favorite song. How convenient is that? I thought maybe some music could get her out of my head for at least the drive over there. I don’t know why I am so nervous. It’s just a girl. I park right outside her door and shake as I send a quick text to let her know I’m here, but little does she know what she has coming. Oh god, stupid high-tech iPhone says she already read it… Be cool, just relax. The pit stains I see when I look down are the size of Texas. Well, isn’t that great?
I watch her prance out of the door with her golden blonde ringlets bouncing as always. Wait, where is the banner?! Then I notice it loosely hanging from the tree branch. It isn’t going to fall. She won’t see it. This is awkward… Kathleen is now bent over and seems to be searching?? For what is she searching for? A look of confusion sweeps across her face. I see it... The “O” in “PROM?” fell off and it is on her driveway. How embarrassing can this get? She tilts her head upward and at the same time all I see is a falling banner. I’m a little baffled, but pretty positive I just watched Kathleen get hit in the face with a poster board. Chris is officially the worst friend ever. I thought maybe I would casually just ask her to go as friends one day, but apparently there is a motto I didn’t hear about. “Go big or go home.” I rush out the door to make sure she is alright. “My” ridiculous sign just hit her in the face.

She realizes what the sign is supposed to say and her face lit up brighter than the sun in the morning. She likes my banner? Suddenly I’m startled to find myself engulfed by her arms over my shoulders. “I never thought you would ask! My day can’t get any better!” Chris was right. He’s 21 and I’m 17 so I probably should’ve given him experience credit a long time ago. I’ve got to hand it to him, when it comes to females he really does know what he’s talking about.
We walk to my car and I open the door for her. (Another tip I learned from Chris.) “Nathan, thank you so much! Nobody has ever done anything so sweet for me. Even if your plan did backfire a little…” I couldn’t wipe off the grin stretched on my face. The most perfect prom date I could ask for is now mine to take.
“I was so scared you would say no. I would’ve asked way sooner, I know it is a little late to be looking for a dress now…I’m just glad you’re happy to go with me.” Did I just tell her my feelings? Shots fired… Man down.
“Nate, don’t be silly! I could never reject you! Nobody looks at me the same way you do.” She stares at me deeply with her ice blue eyes. How do I even respond to that? Do I smile? I‘ve got to admit, I need Chris.
“You notice? Oh geez I didn’t think it was that noticeable…” My face feels red hot. I know I’m as red as a tomato from the embarrassment. She knows how I feel about her. I bet she always has. Why wouldn’t she say anything? She doesn’t feel the same way... My heart sounds like it’s going to pop right out of my chest.

“Don’t sweat it. I know you’re dying to hear the answer to the question you’re too shy to ask. So, I will just tell you. Of course I like you. In fact, more than anybody else I’ve ever liked before.” she says and smiles. I have never been so relieved.
Since we are already putting everything on the table now, I think I’ll just say it. “Hey Kathleen?”
“Yeah?” she replies sweetly.
“I was just wondering if maybe you’d like to accompany me as not just my best friend, but my girlfriend.” My palms are so sweaty. She probably thinks I’m a freak now. I’m glad I only have to go through this once, because I am really scared to be completely honest.
“I was actually hoping you’d say something. I’d love that.” She answers with honesty on her face. I can tell she is being sincere. I get out of the car and walk around to open her door. We are about the walk into the school as a couple. This is by far the best day ever. How was I so quick to doubt Chris? I think I’ve learned some very important lessons here. You’ll never know unless you try. Help is not always a bad thing. Sometimes the hardest things to do are the things that make your life worthwhile in the end. My list goes on and I couldn’t be more thankful. I pick up the phone and dial Chris’s number, but I bet he already knows what I’m going to say. He knows he’s right. He was just waiting for my moment to see it too.