You Can't Get Away | Teen Ink

You Can't Get Away

April 25, 2014
By AndriaGromley SILVER, Hillsdale, Pennsylvania
AndriaGromley SILVER, Hillsdale, Pennsylvania
8 articles 2 photos 113 comments

Favorite Quote:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish he’d go away...


Mother set down her tea cup, folded her hands in her lap, and glared at me from over her glasses. “You did what?” she said quietly, her eyes sparking with anger.

“Mother, I’m sorry, but I can’t stay here my entire life. I’m nineteen” I paused when she stood, her heavy wooden chair scraping the floor. “Mother, I’m ready to move out.”

Mother walked around the table to me, her heels clicking and her long skirt swaying around her ankles. “It would be unwise for a young girl of nineteen to move out. It’s dangerous out there, in the real world.”

I looked down at my hands, which were clasped together in my lap. I didn’t like when she stood over me, it made me feel weak. “ Mother, I…”

She raised her hand, “No, you aren’t moving out. You’re only nineteen. Don’t bring this up again, Abigail, or your punishment will be sure to keep the thought from your head.”

I stared at the pattern of my skirt as she walked away, into the sewing room. Why is she so old fashioned? Most girls would’ve been gone already. I thought. Sometimes when I was supposed to be buying more fabric, I would watch the normal people go on with their normal lives, before I’d hurry home so I wouldn’t be late.

Why can’t I be like them? Because of Mother, that’s why. I felt tears well up in my eyes.

“No.” I said aloud. I heard the clicking of Mother’s heels cease. “No.” I said louder. “No! I’m moving out!” I stood, and my chair fell backwards, making a loud clattering that echoed through the old house.

“Excuse me?” I heard Mother say, but I didn’t pay any attention. “What was that you said?” there was danger in her voice. She was daring me to challenge her.

I looked over at her, she was in the doorway, her hands by her sides, clutching her skirt the way she does when she’s angry. “Would you like to repeat yourself?” her voiced rose.

“I said I’m moving out!” I slapped my trembling hand on the table.

Mother smiled at me, her crooked white teeth glinting in the sunlight coming through the dining room window.

“I’ve already found a place to go, Mother. You can’t do anything about it. I’m an adult now.” I wasn’t myself, I’ve never talked to my mother like this before, she was always the boss, even when Father was still alive.

“Go to your room, Abigail, I’ll deal with you after you finish reading your bible.”

“No,” I almost shouted, “I’m leaving!” I don’t want to walk past her to get to the front door, so without turning my back on her, I reach for the back door handle. A sharp pain emanated through the back of my skull and a plate shattered on the ground behind me.

“You aren’t going anywhere!” I reach up and push my hand to the back of my bleeding head, trying to push the pain away. I open the door despite her violence. “Abigail! Get back here!” I don’t turn back, because I know she won’t leave the house. She never does. “Abigail! God will damn you to Hell if you do not get back here!” I ignore her and make my way through the crowd of staring neighbors. Suzanne is waiting for me in her black van, ready to take us on an adventure into a new life.

I make my way to her, smiling, still clutching at the back of my head. “Abby!” she waves her hand, “come on! Hurry!” Her parent must also be furious at her decision of leaving. I jog the rest of the way to the curb and slide into van.

“Oh, this is going to be great! Living in California!” I clutch my skirt as Suzanne directs the van into traffic.

“I know! We’ll be free birds! We’ll be able to actually live, fall in love, go to parties…” She pauses at a stop sign, looks both ways, and continues. Her long, feathery, brown hair blows behind her from the wind coming through the open window. Maybe when we get to California, we can actually cut our hair for once, get some fancy clothes, and maybe even get our ears pierced!

A blaring noise comes from our left. I look over and see a huge truck skyrocketing towards us.

I wake up with a steady beeping noise echoing through my aching head. Opening my eyes, I squint from the blinding white light. Mother sits beside me, her hands folded carefully in her lap, her face stern. I must be in a hospital; I’m hooked up to odd machines.

Mother sees me stir and she looks over at me. “Abigail. This is God’s punishment for your leaving.” She motions to my body. One of my legs is missing from the knee down. I struggle to remember what happened. I was leaving to California with Suzanne...

“Suzy…” What happened to her? Is she okay? Did the crash leave her with a limb severed like me?

“Dead. The demon girl is dead. Now I have you all to myself. And this time… You can’t get away.” She smiles.

No… this can’t happen…