Programed Killers | Teen Ink

Programed Killers

By ZoeZoe PLATINUM, Westown, New Plymouth 4310, Other
ZoeZoe PLATINUM, Westown, New Plymouth 4310, Other

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song" -Maya Angelou

In grade school, I ran through the streets with a fake gun, dodging imaginary missiles and lying in wait for unsuspecting kids to pass by so I could nail them with invisible bullets. All through junior high and high school, I bragged to my friends about joining the military. When I first got handed my gun and uniform a giant cocky smile flooded my face as the metal grazed my skin. Nervous joy accompanied my first trip out to the field. I remember the sickening feeling that overcame me as I first saw those bodies infinitely speckling the ground.

The excitement of the idea, the thrill of being new and the anticipation of heading out are gone now. I crouch low, mud and blood cake my once pale skin. My uniform has rips and my gun’s weight is a burden. A million miles, seven months, three weeks and four days separates me from my family. Do they think of me?

Whoosh, a bullet misses me by five inches and lodges into a half-dead man nearby. As I race past, his heart stops. Tears used to stream down my face every time someone died. But I am used to it. I learned not to talk to or care about anyone because it is hard to say goodbye. I run away from the dead man and convince myself not to feel anything.

A stick breaks behind me. It is a boy or a zombie; his gun points at me and his eyes are vacant, emotionless. He targets me, oblivious to the war surrounding him. He is programmed with one command: kill. Just before he pulls the trigger, I recognize him.

His bullet misses and I run. I do not stop. No matter how far I go, or how many dying people I see, that boy’s image haunts me. He stares at me with those empty polar eyes. He scares me, how could someone end up like that? I know why I recognize him and I fear myself more.