She's Just Sitting There | Teen Ink

She's Just Sitting There

By Hetaku66 BRONZE, West Melbourne, Florida
Hetaku66 BRONZE, West Melbourne, Florida

She’s just sitting there. How can she just do that? I thought to myself as I look down in between my feet at the dark black coloured cat sitting directly at my feet. She’s been sitting there for over an hour now. How can Winter- see the irony in her name- just sit and stare at me? I shrug it off and focus on my computer screen. I was attempting to focus on my boyfriend, Sam, I was video chatting with, but the stupid cat just could not pry her bright yellow eyes away from me.

“D-dude, c’mon. Wh-what are you looking at?” Sam’s stuttered question made me look back at him. I let out a sigh, glancing to the cat, our eyes locking. My gunmetal blue eyes boring into hers. She was challenging me, or at least I assumed so. She always stared at me when she either wanted food or was just trying to get on my nerves.

“Stupid cat is starin’ at me. It’s freakin’ creepy,” I say as I run my hand through my choppy black hair. I looked back to my shy boyfriend, trying to notice little things about his hair or about his face just to have something to focus on. I also began to think about the deal we made about me trying not to be as rude and sarcastic as usual and try to be nice. Hah. Me, nice. Sure. I am surprised on why he even agreed to going out with me.I kept thinking of little things and soon, my feline frenemy was out of my mind.

This was a bad decision, though, because as soon as I took my eyes off of Winter, she had silently moved closer. I didn’t perceive this and continued talking. “I mean, I like ‘er ‘nd all, but she just stares at me no matter what I do. And she watches everything. And I mean everything.”

The blond chuckled at me, smiling sweetly. He found my pain enjoyable. “Well, you have h-had her for years. S-so she’s attached t-to you and desires to b-be with you. L-like I do~” he replied with his stupidly cute- yes, I said cute- stutter which just made me groan and then snarl. Sam laughed a little harder at my reaction, snorting loudly. My snarl faultered and he noticed immediately, a smug look on his face.

“Shut up, Sam! At least you have privacy from your pets!!”

“T-that’s because they are m-my sister’s p-pets. I-I don’t have anything to d-do with the--”

“Shut it!” I shouted at him, a dark glare coming over my face. Instead of the usual reaction I got from others, Sam- thank god- was used to my outbursts of anger and just rolled his chartreuse eyes behind his thick-framed glasses. Most people would call me rude or start cursing back and somehow I’d end up in a fight. Being as awesome and tough as I am, they all lost quickly. But Sam doesn’t like when I do or talk about that.

He adjusted this glasses as I huffed and pinched the bridge of my nose and shut my eyes, groaning a bit louder.

“A-Alan, d-dude. Calm down. Th-there’s no n-need to get upset.” He tried lightening the mood by smiling in that sickeningly sweet way he always did to get me to shut up. And like always, it worked.

I let out a sigh, my anger dissipating slowly as I looked back to him again. A smile that could really make my mood brighter appeared on his face. Giving up in my anger against my pet, I scratched my head and just started talking with the blond. We started talking about anything that came to mind, whether it be the several projects we were assigned to my paintings I did in my free time. I don’t talk about those much, people say it’s something only girls do.

~0~

“But a-anyway, do you remember when--” Sam talked about some foreign exchange student Emrys and when she tried translating words into Danish when I felt something furry rub against the bottom of my foot.

“THE HECK!?” I screamed, quickly standing on top of my chair. At this angle, Sam could be seen keeling over and his laughing-snorting mixture could be heard. He was having the time of his life watching me get surprised and see my life flash before my eyes.

I was panting heavily and shouting angrily as I looked down to my feet. “WINTER!” She let out a meow in response, and I swear to this day, that she was smirking at me with a smug air.
Sam kept laughing at me as I told him to shut up again. All he did was respond with, “I can see! She is stalking you!”

I was looking at my cat and this idea came to mind.