And then I Smiled | Teen Ink

And then I Smiled

March 11, 2014
By Evanol BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Evanol BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. –Amelia Earhart


Shshshwwwfff THUNK! The rough wooden door slammed shut behind me. I wiped my sweaty palms off on my new white running shorts. It felt cool and soft. The fabric was silky and smelled like Clorox bleach, unlike this place. Here it smelled like mold, dirty socks, and Febreze antiseptic spray. Yegh! I turned and jogged down the hall. The awful mixture of smells wafted up my nose and I scrunched up my face in utter disgust. Blegh! It was a stench that I would never be able to get used to. I tried to pay attention to the creaks of the floor boards every time my new Adidas hit the wood panelling beneath me, as I got further down the hall. Away from room 53.

I made a left at the little hallway intersection and soon entered the small lobby. The volunteer woman behind the front desk smiled and waved politely. I didn’t stop to wave back. I had to get out of here, away from this dump. My growing anger drove me onward. I didn’t know how anyone could ever call this place home. Right now, I needed to run, to keep going, to never stop. Running was my life and nothing could ever take that away from me. It had kept me going, and it would keep me going now. I barged through the smudged glass double doors, and kept on running. My feet padded against the concrete slabs that made up the crooked sidewalk lining the rundown shelter.

Running.

Running.

Running.

I gained some speed as I turned right around the corner. I kept going, flying carelessly across the street, soaring over the curb and landing on the soft grass of our town’s public track field. It was completely empty except for one other person. I squinted, trying to better see the opposite side of the long red track. The person went around the top and kept running, facing towards me now, I realized it my best, and most undeserved, friend Alysee. Convenient that she should be here at the same time as me, I thought almost happily.

Alysse looked up and caught a glimpse of me taking a breather.

“Hey, Jaguar! It’s me! ‘Sup, girlie?” she shouted at me, giggling, as she came closer.

Oh, Alysse and her unforgettable nicknames: “Lightning”, “Zoom”, “Race Car.” I laughed to myself. Leave it to Alysse to brighten your day.

She did a little skip and hopped up to me, giving me a playful nudge. She starts to blab, “So, Flash, what’ve you been up to? Certainly not running!!!”

I sighed as we both started to jog, “Mmmmmm...” I faded out

“I know. I’m really sorry, I wish there was something I could do to help you guys out, you know, while you’re staying there...” her voice started to fade out as she glanced at the ugly shelter across the street.

“You’re too nice. I really don’t deserve to have you as a best friend. You don’t need to do anything, we’re fine for now,” I reassured her. She shrugged and I added, “You know, I can run and run on and on forever, but I can’t outrun this, can I? I wish I could.”

“OK, Miss Swish,” I had to laugh at the name she came up with, “so now you’re telling me you want to have a race against some fire and a rundown building? Because last time I checked, buildings and fires can’t run. So I’m pretty sure you’ll win that one.”

“I wish.” I rolled my eyes. “You know how to make me laugh more than anyone else. Even when I’m in a mood!”

We were silent, but it was a happy silence. For the first time this week, I smiled.

Smiled.

Smiled.
Smiled.
I had hope.