Aberdeen | Teen Ink

Aberdeen

March 10, 2014
By Libby_88 SILVER, SH, Ohio
Libby_88 SILVER, SH, Ohio
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Aberdeen gracefully glided across the polished wood floors in the main hallways. Aberdeen was as delicate as a flower petal, as kind as a kitten and as pretty as a butterfly. Her long, curly red hair flowed around her, framing her pale face. The green in her eyes reminded one of a warm summer evening. Aberdeen, though, was as curious as her hair was red. Being the only child and getting sick easily she was always kept inside. The hours she would spend, gazing out the window, longing to just feel the tickle of grass at her ankles, to feel the sun warm her face and the breeze to brush aside her hair. Aberdeen was oh so careful enough to have gotten her parents to go out for a night, and all the servant staff was busy with family. Thanksgiving was approaching. Aberdeen carefully put on her mothers old coat, it hung down to her ankles, and she crept towards the door. Slowly she raised her hand to the brass and pulled away, frightened as to how cold it was to the touch. Once more she placed her hand on the door, more firmly this time, and opened it. She was met by a strong breeze, the night air nipped at her face as she smiled welcoming the cold. Aberdeen placed one foot onto the stone walkway and started for the garden. Though she had never been outside she knew exactly where to go. What was at first hesitation and slow walking turned into a jog, and soon she was sprinting across the pathway and into the garden. There she was greeted by what was left of the once green plants. No ordinary person would find twigs and leafless trees beautiful, but Aberdeen was mesmerized. She gingerly ran her lacy fingers across each plant. As she did she closed her eyes, recalling what they must look like in the summer and spring time. She still had her eyes closed and was enjoying the moment until something landed on her cheek. It was cold and wet, startled she looked around. Then she saw something she had always wanted to be able to feel, snow. Her eyes lit up with delight as she watched each small flake slowly float down from the sky, she held out her hands. Snowflakes fell into her palms, quickly melting. Aberdeen stood for a moment, watching the snow as it came down, but then she felt something in her throat. Quickly she was awaken from her trance. Aberdeen rushed inside, slamming the door and dropping the coat, she bolted up the stairs to her room. She located the bottle of pills by her bed and popped a couple into her mouth. She had forgotten to take them before she wandered outside. Aberdeen slowly went to her window, watching the snow fall. Her parents would come home soon and she knew they wouldn't be too happy that she had gone outside but she couldn't wait to tell them how she had been able to experience just a sliver of winters best.


The author's comments:
I like to write short little stories like this one. I came up with this one from thinking about what it must be like to want so badly to experience something as little as snow.