Just Around the Riverbend | Teen Ink

Just Around the Riverbend

By StygianSparrow BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
StygianSparrow BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Once, there was a small village in the tropical forests that resided near a river that cascaded down a cliff. The people of this village were very careful around the river, because if you were reckless and fell in, your life would only last a few more minutes, if you were lucky.

Now, in this village, there was a boy. Even though he was almost an adult, he didn't act like one and did not take heed to the warnings.
So, one day, the boy was fishing on a dock that overlooked the calm part of the river. All of a sudden, he saw a fish, if you could call it that. The “fish” had a sleek, gray body, with a very long mouth and nose, filled with millions of teeth. The fins also looked stronger and it did not have any noticeable gills.

This creature was obviously a dolphin, but the boy, being the idiot that he was, thought it was a fish. And he knew one other thing.
It looked delicious.

Casting his line, the boy tried to lure the “fish” into being dinner, but it ignored the bait and just kept swimming.

Then the boy noticed something. The dolphin was quite large. Maybe it didn’t to eat leeches. Maybe it liked to eat people. Which is obviously not true, but it was to the idiot on the dock.

So, the boy jumped into the water, in hopes to get it to chase him onto dry land. But, the “fish” ignored him and kept on swimming.

And here came another great idea. The boy could get on its back and steer it onto the river banks. But whenever he got close to the dolphin, it swam farther downstream.

They were now far away from the dock, as it looked like it was only a speck in the distance.

The boy kept on chasing the dolphin, not noticing that there was a bend in the river. The calamity of the waters was now gone and replaced by a raging current. Rocks jutted out of the bottom of the murky river. Poisonous water snakes slithered near the shore. Still, the boy kept on with the chase.

But it was too late when he realized what lay at the end of the river. The sound of water cascading over a cliff, down and down, until dropping into the next stream filled his ears. Immediately, he tried to swim away from the edge, but it was no use.

The water carried him off the edge, where he fell. It felt like an infinite amount of time as his eyes scanned his surrounding, the water below being the last sight he ever saw.

And so the water reached the bottom carrying the boy under the cascading water that held him under in the raging torrent and the boy drowned.

The people of the village eventually noticed he was gone and searched for him. But when they saw the dolphin, they knew that the boy was dead and that it was his own doing and foolishness.

Pigasus said...
Pigasus, San Jose, California

The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A. A. Milne

When I first read this I thought it was about Pocahontas lol