The Bridge | Teen Ink

The Bridge

By Outcast4God PLATINUM, Farmersville, Texas
Outcast4God PLATINUM, Farmersville, Texas

"When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars you have set in place-- what mortals that you should think of us. Mere humans that you should care for us.
---Psalms 8:3-4

You're driving down a dark road. It's late, no one's around. You had planned on being home earlier, but the party had run a little late. Then you were hungry, so you stopped at McDonalds for some fries. Now it was way past curfew, and you knew your parents would be waiting.
It was all you could do to stay awake as you drive across the bridge. You thought about rolling down the window, letting in a blast of icy air to wake you. But then you decided against it. You would rather be half asleep when you take your lecture.
As you drive across the bridge you notice a figure. Pulling over, you look out the window. Your friend is standing on the railing. Underneath the railing is 60ft of nothing... then 70ft of ice cold water. The jump is unsurvivable.
You step out of the car and call his name. He looks into your eyes. He smiles. Then... he jumps.

The whole way home, all you see is his face. The determination, the pain. And all you can think about is 'why didn't I see it before?' You should have... he'd been dropping hints. But now... now it's too late. He's gone and you can't get him back. He was alone and you didn't care. You didn't bring him to that party. You didn't offer him any fries. You let him jump.
You don't hear the hour long lecture your parents give you. You don't hear your teachers at school the next week. You don't listen to school gossip. All you can hear is the wind whistling over that bridge.