Under Pressure | Teen Ink

Under Pressure

February 27, 2014
By Zballer23 BRONZE, Kings Mountain, North Carolina
Zballer23 BRONZE, Kings Mountain, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

So there I was standing at the free throw line. I had hit the 3 pointer and gotten the foul as well, so all I needed to do was to sink this free throw. All the pressure was on me, and I could see the scouts in the stands with pins and clipboards at the ready. I turn to my left and see my coach saying “You got this Trey”. This last free throw could determine where I would go to college after this last game of my senior year. So without further notice of the scouts or coach I square up to take the shot. Nervous and scared I zone everyone out of my head, close my eyes and without hesitation I release the ball. As I open my eyes and look at the ball whizzing through the air I see in my mind all the people who told me I couldn't , and all those who stuck with me through thick and thin. I close my eyes one last time and... SWISH!! I hear the student section roar I open my eye and realize that I had hit the shot to complete the 4 point play.

The opposing team quickly inbounds the ball and toss up a prayer shot at the buzzer. The ball sails through the air only to miss the entire basketball goal. As soon as the buzzer goes off I looked at the scoreboard 99-98, we had won the game, and all of my teammates tackle me and say, “Trey you did it, you really did it!!” I get back to my feet and look into the stands and see this one particular scout that kind of looks back at me, gives a little nod and vanishes off into the crowd. I look to the left and see my family, and without thinking I immediately rush over to them to receive a huge hug from my mom, and congratulations from my uncles, aunts, brother, and sisters.

That night I went out with my two best friends Jaden and Michael. We were having the best time ever until Jaden asked that question that everyone was always asking,“So what college are you going to go to Trey”. It kind of messed up the mood a little bit because they know that’s a hard question for me to answer because; they both are going to two different colleges. Jaden is going to UNC Chapel Hill, while at the same time Michael is going to Syracuse University. Sometimes I wish I could go to both colleges to be with both of my friends but I know that’s not the case, after all signing day would be in 2 weeks. I simply answered “I don’t know man”. Jaden replied “Well that’s cool bro”.
On my way home I was still happy but not as much just because I had realized that I would have some big time decisions coming up in a short period of time. Things didn't get much better when I got home either because the same question came out of my mom’s mouth “so have you decided that you want to go to NC State!” I replied and said simply “I don’t know mom.” Sincerely she immediately apologized for asking a question that she knew I had been hearing all day. “Well son no matter what school you go to I will still be proud of you” she replied.
I sat in my room watching ESPN when all of a sudden I hear “37 points 5 rebounds and 10 assist that’s some pretty good numbers” come from my door. I turn to see my dad standing at the door in his work uniform. “What’s up dad” I say. With him standing there I can only think to talk to him about things that are about to happen in my life. So I just start off the conversation with “dad you know what’s about to happen to me in 2 weeks right”. He replied and said “yea son signing day, why ask”. “Well because my friends want me to go to their colleges and mom wants me to go to NC State like the rest of the family has done and I don’t know what to do”. He simply says “well son that is not a question I can answer that choice comes from you and only you, I understand that it’s hard right now to decide but when the time comes you will know”.

I sarcastically said “wow dad thanks for the great information on what I should do, because I really understand now”. He laughed and left the room. Meanwhile I decided to get some rest maybe that would help me understand what I should do, and what my dad meant by “when the time comes you will know”.

It was one day before signing day and I still didn't know what choice to make. So I called Michael and Jaden and asked them if they wanted to go out to eat, and both of them said “yeah”. So we went out, had a good time, and talked about what college I should go to. They both said something similar to what my mom said, “no matter what college you go to your still our bro”. They both left and I stayed to pay the bill. When I walked out of the restaurant I looked to my left and I saw a familiar face, he had looked like that particular scout that I had saw at the end of my last game. I couldn't help but to run back into the restaurant to ask him what college he was scouting for… well he actually told me more than that, he changed my whole perspective of thinking about what college I should go to.

Signing day was finally here, instead of taking my car to Charlotte, NC by myself I asked my mom if we could take the van so that my best friends and a couple family members could come, she replied “absolutely”. So we went to Michael’s and Jaden’s houses to pick them up. On our way there I wasn't nervous at all I knew exactly what I was going to say. I just put my headphones on and went to sleep till we got there. All of my family, friends, and I waited backstage for my turn to let everyone know where I would play college ball at.

The coordinator of the entire event came up to me and said “you’re next kid”. Then I turned to my family and friends and first my mom asked “so are you going to go to NC State”. I replied “no” then I turned to Michael and Jaden and before they would ask the question I said “I’m not going to your colleges either”. All of them looked at me kind of confused. Then they all asked “well where are you going to go to college at”? The coordinator came by at that exact moment and said “alright kid its Showtime”. I said nothing more, and went out onto the stage. All the people in their seats were constantly asking “where are you going, where are you going”. All the cameras and eyes were on me. I turned and looked backstage one more time, my mom, friends and family gave a little nod. Then I picked up one of the college hats on the table and said into the cameras “Go Blue Devils”!


The author's comments:
hope you enjoy

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.