That Awkward Moment | Teen Ink

That Awkward Moment

By Mishamigo DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas
Mishamigo DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas

We accept the love we think we deserve.

Her laugh broke the silence. McKenna Roosevelt had just received what she thought was a funny text.

The angry looking kitten stared up at her from her phone screen. She loved kittens. Quickly remembering that she was at a wedding service, she shut her mouth. The angry bride standing 10 feet in front of her twitched her lips and glanced at her, looking annoyed. McKenna bowed her head and kept going through the the pictures on her phone. She came to a picture that was sent to her from a magazine website.

“She could’ve done better,” she said as she looked down at the smiling faces of Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber, the hottest celebrity couple at the moment, holding hands.

“They won’t last,” she continued. Hearing a loud gasp made her look up, remembering again where she was. Murmurs were heard all around.

“What happened? These people should quit talking and show some respect. We’re at a wedding for goodness sake,” she whisper-yelled to the old woman sitting next to her.

The horrified pastor carried on with the service. McKenna looked at one last picture, it was another funny cat picture. She shut her phone and tried to hold in the laugh. You know when you try to hold in your laugh and all of a sudden you burst out in such a loud and hysterical cackle that everyone stares? Well, guess what happened next. Even McKenna gasped. She quickly closed her lips with an embarrassed frown and rosy cheeks. The service slowly carried on.

After it was all over, McKenna apologized to the bride. She felt terrible, it was her mother getting married. Her mom laughed but for once, McKenna didn’t think anything was that funny.

“I know it’s hard to accept a new dad into your lfie. I understand that you were trying to distract yourself, dear,” they hugged and her mom left to greet other guests. KIenna checked the time on her phone just as another picture popped up. She laughed and put her phone down, going to join her friends in dancing. She could live without her phone for a couple hours.