My Beast | Teen Ink

My Beast

February 19, 2014
By Johanna_Rose PLATINUM, Warsaw, Other
Johanna_Rose PLATINUM, Warsaw, Other
32 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.


-
Please calm down! - I whispered, my hands twisting themselves in a knot.
The mother’s ancient plate shattered against the wall… A thousand pieces scattered under our shoes.
He grabbed the microwave and send it flying towards the table, knocking off the dinner I prepared. The wall bled…
I couldn’t take it anymore, I ran to him and took a hold of his arm. He struggled and looked at me with fury of a beast… This wasn’t the boy I loved…
-Stop it! – I shouted. His eyes diluted and he pushed me away. My body landed on the cold tiles, darkness overtook my vision. My head throbbed and skin cried from the glass bits. I sat up on my elbow and stared at the beast.
His fingers dug into his head and he was screaming as if in massive pain.
I didn’t know what happened… He never told me much. His nails dug into the wood cabinets leaving marks. I silently got up and retreated into our bedroom. He didn’t join me that day… I still waited, trembling, both afraid and wanting him to come.
He was gone the next day. I cleaned the mess in the kitchen and collected my mother’s plate bits, laying them out on the table. Many pieces were missing… My fingers were cut from collecting the broken glass. That evening he came back when I was laying in the bed.
His arms embraced my back, kissing my neck. His breath hovered on my ears, hesitating. I was paralyzed… There was nothing I could say. I should have been angry. I should have pushed him away. His fingers grazed over my stomach and I sucked in the heavy air. His forehead cuddled against my spine.
-I’m sorry. – He whispered, pulling me closer against him. – I’m so, so sorry.
-I know. – I mumbled, entwining our fingers.
-Forgive me. – He wanted reassurance. His fingers trailed on the pulse line of my neck.
I was afraid of this need... – Ok. – This heat boiling in my veins.
The beast grinned. – I love you.
I was silent. It didn’t make a difference to him whether I answered.


The author's comments:
Sometimes people the closest to us have the biggest power over our lives. They can destroy us without realizing it.