Where Are You?

Drenched. I’m drenched. I’m waiting for a ride outside of this hideous school as I have been for the past hour. It’s raining intently, and I’m babbling to myself furiously. Where is she?

That’s probably not the best question to ask; I had my thoughts on where Mom was when she’s late. I was sure it was a “meeting running late…” Right. A “meeting” with Jo, no doubt.

Breaking my angry trance, my phone rings. Oh, joy.

“Hello?” I asked, pretending to be oblivious to who it is.

“Hey, Holly. Sorry I’m late, our meeting ran way over.”
Figures. “I kind of guessed, Mom. Could you just hurry? I’m cold.” I wonder if she can hear my bitterness.
“Okay, dear, but please don’t be so cross. You know, youre beginning to act more and more like those teenagers who get high all the time that I read about on the internet all the time…”
“Mom!” I snapped.
“I’m sorry, you know I love you. All I care about is your safety.”
Yeah, like I never heard that one before…
*click*
Oh, great. She hung up. Ugh I should just walk home. Scaring me half to death, my phone rings.
“Mom?”
“Holly… listen to me… call an ambulance… I just caused a wreck… I’m hurt… so is Jo…”
I heard the *click* as the line went dead again.
Right as I’m about to dial 911, the cops call me. They searched her phone, I guess. A nice youngish officer, Officer Sanchez, is coming to pick me up at this deadbeat of a school to take me to the hospital to see Mom and Jo. He wouldn’t say much on the phone, just that Mom was really, really hurt. I felt a sob begging to crawl through my body, suddenly feeling ashamed of myself for thinking so cruelly.
In the ride to the hospital, it was super awkward. To make it easier on poor Officer Sanchez, I started scanning my texts “coolly”.
Totally randomly, his phone started playing “Eyes Only”.
“Good song.” I chuckled to myself.

Followed by a series of “uh-hum’s and “yeah”s and some “oh”s, he looked at me sadly and flipped a U-Turn.

Where are you taking me?” I asked.

“To Jo’s house. I’m so sorry, Holly. Your mother just passed away.”

Quickly, he adds “The doctors said if she had survived, she would be put in an asylum. She had forgotten everyone, everything. She tried jumping out of the window; I suppose it’s better she died in a coma-gone-worse…I’m sorry. At least you have Jo; he planned on wedding your Mom next weekend…”

As if that makes me feel any better!

“Where are you, Mom?” I wonder. The tears are coming on, I feel it.

Where’s the mom I knew? Where’s the real you?

LinkinPark12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 28 at 9:44 am:
It's really sad but quick-moving. I was like "-wha-" when we find out that Holly's Mom's in a car accident. It moves too quick. Try to describe Holly's emotions and the setting. Also, would Mom really call Holly after just being in a car accident? Also, when the ambulance picks her up, what's the significance of the song "Eye's Only"? That was a bit random. Finally, would the Officer calmly say "you mother just passed away"? That's a bit ... (more »)

tman said...
Wow, love the story

jonas said...
Nov. 23, 2008 at 8:04 am:
thats cool how u write so well laters

Jennifyr's Mom said...
Great story! Great writing technique!

Twilight/Jasper lover said...
This is so amazing i nearly cried again when i read it but i did better than in class this time but its still so wonderful i luv it so much i heart you oh and rudalph says hello:)

bitty633 said...
Jenny, what a great story. Yeah I think I would disagree with you and say that it was very depressing. It looks like you have wonderful potential to become a great writer. Where did the inspiration for this story come?

Emma Your Bffl said...
jenny thats amazing luv ya

Josh Heydorn said...
Nov. 14, 2008 at 2:44 am:
Wow, I'm in college and don't write that proficiently. Very nicely done. Good Job Jenny! Keep writing.

cansada said...
good story