I Love You | Teen Ink

I Love You

As a child everyone had a superhero that they wanted to be like. Even a supervillian. Someone who they were excited or anxious to see. Whether it was on TV or in person. From Arthur to Zorro. Unfortunately this was totally different for me growing up as a
child. When I was younger I’ve always have been afraid of this hero, if you want to call him that. I have this image that plays back in my mind. It’s big, purple and extremely to loud. Color wise and talking. This dino was named Barney. Every time he would appear on TV or somewhere in my sight I would run in terror from him. For fun my older cousins Marcus and Melissa found it funny but more amusing to sing the song just to see me panic in horror. It wasn’t till the age of four when I had become frightened. My fifth birthday was soon approaching and my mom was going crazy trying figure out what I would enjoy. As time came to end and my birthday was right around the corner she asked the two people in the world who she thought knew me the best. Marcus and Melissa Alston. My two cruel cousins that I had at one point looked up two. A week later my birthday was here. I was all dolled up in my brand new birthday outfit. I was now five and was happy as any girl could be. Everything was great. From the people, music, food and of course the many presents I had received. My amazing birthday was coming to an end. The only thing left was my mother’s colorful surprise. As she disappeared I start to wonder to myself what this colorful surprise could have been. As she made her way back I notice this purple thing and immediately went into a purple haze. As I thought to myself it couldn’t be it couldn’t be who I thought it was. Sure enough when it spoke I knew well enough. As soon as he spoke his first words I saw my whole past and future flash in front of me. I really didn’t have a reason why I was terrified but I simply was scared to death. At this moment I slowly turned around and jumped as a jack rabbit would and took off. When I ran for dear life I thought why he was here and who invited this thing to my birthday. I was so scared and shaken by this ordeal I couldn’t think straight let alone breath right. A few minutes had past and I was hiding in my tree house when my mother came knocking. She let herself in and asked what was the matter with me. In rage I explained why and how afraid I was of Barney. She then told me that my two cousins said I would be thrilled to have but they were so wrong .She then went after my cousins which actually was the best part of my birthday and apologized. Since this life incident my house and life has remained Barney free.

TrialKasai GOLD, Partlow, Virginia

I'm not special, I'm just limited edition.

Barney is horrifying, no kidding about that.

on Jun. 2 2021 at 9:26 am
Dalilah2021 BRONZE, Reading, Michigan

God woke you up today for a reason, and this pain you are feeling is for a reason. God has a plan.

This is just great :)

ecargthegreat BRONZE, Newton, Illinois
2 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"I would rather by hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not"

~Kurt Cobain

This is so funny! I love it!

ellwist SILVER said...
on May. 1 2015 at 10:14 am
ellwist SILVER, Surabaya, Other

"They only let you be this happy when they're preparing to take something from you." -Khaled Hosseini, the Kite Runner.

I don't blame the main character/you; children shows are really scary, once you look at them when you're older. Thanks for the read.