Roommates | Teen Ink

Roommates

January 12, 2014
By puddlejumper SILVER, Averill Park, New York
puddlejumper SILVER, Averill Park, New York
7 articles 1 photo 2 comments

Act 1





















(Casey as been accepted into her dream college and it is finally the day to move in. She and her mother travel to UPENN to let Casey settle in and unpack. This is also the day where everyone finds who they will be rooming with for the next 2 semesters.)
(Casey enters into the common area of her dorm, and her mother follows carrying all of her bags.)






Scene 1
Casey: Oh my gosh! I can't believe I'm really here! I have been waiting my whole life to be here... Mom I'm here!
Karen: Yes honey, I know... do you want to take a bag? They're getting rather heavy.
(Casey runs over to the window)
Karen: Okay, or not. (sets all the bags on the ground)
Jess, her Resident Assistant enters the dorm building looking polished and almost too happy to see her.
Jess: Alright, Casey?
Casey: Yupp that's me!
Jess: Okay, so I have your room number and your roommate. You are in 114. Isn't that awesome???--it's right on this floor!! Just down this hall a bit and you'll find it on the right! Would you like to know your roommate?
Casey (a bit taken aback by how personable her RA is): Of course I would! Oh I hope we get along, I'm so totally excited!
Jess: Well, look here--this is interesting-- it says she went to school with you! Her name is Stacy!
Casey: (sounding slightly nervous and anxious) Stacy? Wait... Stacy what?
Jess: Stacy Moon. Wow what a coincidence, that doesn't usually happen. Lucky you, you'll actually know someone here! Well if you have any questions you can come down to my room! I am in room 100, and I am your dorm's RA. Remember, I am Jessica Faun, and here are your keys! I'll see you later!
(She saunters confidently off towards her room)
Casey: (Her mouth dropped open) No, no this can't be right. She said she was going to Penn State, not University of Pennsylvania!
Karen:(a bit distracted by another set of parents, having a spat down the hall) Umm, honey I'm sure it will be just fine. She has had the whole summer to mature, you need to give her another chance. And to think, you actually know someone here now. Hey, what do you think is going on down the hall????(pointing to an increasingly aggravated well dressed woman in heels)
Casey: No, not after what she did to me. I mean really! Who cheats on their girlfriend with their best friend? What kind of best friend would ever even let that happen?? Mom—pay attention—stay with me on this. I can NOT do this... no way, uh-uh, forget it. I'm not going to let her ruin my college experience. There has to be some way I can change my room or roommate or something!
(Casey takes off running towards Jess' dorm room. Karen is now inching closer to the arguing couple, but trying to look discreet.)






Scene 2
Casey: (pounding on the door) Jess! Please, I have a question!
Jess: (opens door and looking definitely less peppy) Hey Case, what's up? I talked to you like what, 3 minutes ago? Please don't be one of those freshmen..
Casey: What do you mean “one of those freshmen”?
Jess: The freshman that knocks on my door every 5 minutes. I'm here to help but please, don't take advantage of it to much. So what's your problem??
Casey: I can't do it, I cannot room with Stacy.
Jess: I'm sorry but there is nothing we can do about that. You'll have to just accept it and try and get along. You're taking different classes so the only time you'll see each other is when you're going to bed.
Casey: Yeah that's the problem! She's probably going to try and kill me in my sleep with a tampon or something! You need to switch out our rooms, or trade roommates or something!
Jess: You haven't even checked into your room yet! There is nothing I can do at the moment. Give it 1 semester and if you are still having issues I’ll see what I can do. Okay?
Casey: (rolls her eyes and crosses her arms) Yupp, thanks for all your help! (sarcastically, then storms out of Jess's room)
Karen is now on her hands and knees outside a door where the arguing continues, on the pretense of repacking a suitcase.
Karen: Jess is right sweetie, you need to try and give it a little time. I have confidence that things will be okay if you just give it time.
Casey: Yeah well, you're not the one who is going to have to live with her. Mom, what are you doing on the floor???
Karen: (Getting up rather quickly) Nothing! Nothing, okay are you ready to go check into your room? You're going to have to talk to her sooner or later, you might as well just get it over with.
Casey: Ugh, okay lets go. What did Jess say the room was?
Karen: 114, it's on the right I believe.
(As Casey and Karen round the corner Casey sees Stacy coming out of their dorm room. Casey debates turning around but suddenly Stacy sees both of them)
Stacy: Oh. My. Goodness! Casey?? You're in this hall? (She comes running up to her and throws her arms around Casey)
Casey: (pretending to be excited but obviously sarcastic) Yupp, I am! And uh... we are actually roommates! (very sarcastically) Isn't that great! (Then rolls her eyes and scowls)
Stacy: This is fantastic! I know we've had our troubles but you're obviously over that now! Ah! This is going to be amazing!
(Casey's mouth drops open when Stacy says that she is over “that” and Karen frantically tries to change subjects.)
Karen: All right girls, well this has been... interesting. Casey, why don't we go into the dorm room and set up all of your stuff?
Casey: (to Stacy) Over that? You think I am over that?
Karen: Please? Let's set up your room!
Casey: I can't believe you can just blow this off!
Stacy: I don't know why this is such a big deal. Case, your mom is right, lets go set up our room.
Casey: You are unbelievable. (She turns and walks into the dorm room)
Karen: (To Stacy) I don't think what you did was right. Under any sort of circumstances, but I believe you can fix things with her. I remember when you two used to be the best of friends. You were practically living at our house, and I know that deep inside she misses the way things were. You should never let boys ruin your friendship with your girlfriends.
Stacy: I understand Mrs. Campbell and I really am sorry. I wish things didn't end like this. And it wasn't worth it either. I'll try, I promise, to put things back to the way they were.
Karen: I know Stacy, and we both know Casey can be a bit dramatic at times too. Thank you Stacy. I'm going to see if she needs any help setting up the room and then I'm to head back home. It's all up to you now. (she leaves into the dorm room)
Stacy: (leaning up against a wall) Oh, I wish things were better. I've known Casey since the 3rd grade! Now look at us. I don't know why she thinks I'm upset, because I'm not. I'm not angry with her, and I guess I see her reasoning behind being so upset with me. It was all my fault. (starting to pace back and forth) But she didn't love him! I did! And he didn't love her. He loved me. It is so frustrating you know? She honestly believes that everyone is obsessed with her, that everyone thinks she is perfect. That's not true... at all! (sighs and leans against the wall again) It shouldn't matter anymore anyways. She is still my best friend even if she doesn't see that at the moment. She always will be, and I need to fix this. I need to make things right, and I will! Even if it takes me all through college, I will fix our relationship, I promise. (Lights go down, curtain closes. End of Act 1)
















Act 2












Scene 3
(Casey is quietly unpacking everything. She sniffles a little, and she has obviously been crying. Stacy knocks and then enters slowly)
Stacy: Hey girl, you okay? Are you crying?
Casey: No I'm fine, just go about your business and I’ll go about mine okay?
Stacy: We'll that's going to be kind of hard don't you think.
Casey: Why's that?
Stacy: We'll we're going to be living together for a whole year..
Casey: No that won't be a problem, I already talked to our RA and she said we only need to make it one semester together, then we can go our separate ways. So for one semester you can stay clear of me, and I'll stay clear of you. Sound like a plan?
Stacy: Yeah I guess so. Hey it's getting kind of late, do you want to go get some dinner? Walk around campus a bit?
Casey: I don't know what the hell your problem is. We are not friends okay? And we aren't going to be friends. We are roommates that are just going to tolerate each other for one semester. So no, I don't want to go get dinner.
Stacy: Fine, excuse me for trying to piece back together this stupid friendship. (She slams the door shut)

Scene 4
(It is now after 10 and Casey is sound asleep in her bed. The room is very dark and it is hard to see anything. Stacy quietly come in and still hasn't unpacked her bag. She tries to not wake Casey. As she pulls out a box of tampons Casey wakes up.)
Casey: (loudly whispering frantically) What the hell are you doing??!! I knew this was going to happen! I told her, I told her, I told her!
Stacy: What the heck are you talking about? I'm trying to unpack, what is your problem?
Casey: You were going to try and suffocate me in my sleep with a tampon right? Oh you are just pure evil.
Stacy: No.
Casey: Yes you were! Oh I knew this wasn't going to work.
Stacy: Uhm, I'm pretty sure you probably have a box of these somewhere too. Chill out, it's not a big deal! Go back to bed. I'm getting changed and then going to bed too. Classes start early.
Casey: So for real? You weren't going to kill me. I don't get why you've been so nice to me. After everything you did to me. You ruined my relationship... my own best friend.
Stacy: I know, and I'm really sorry. You don't even know how sorry I am, and if I could take back the last 6 months I would, I swear. Case, I don't know what happened to us. I just want us to be friends again, and I understand it's going to be a while before you can trust me again. But I want you to know that you can, because I want you to trust me. I want you to be my best friend again. Do you hear what I'm saying? Casey, I am so sorry.
Casey: (with tears in her eyes, now wide awake) Yes. Yes, I hear you. I didn't know you really felt that way, I thought it was all an act. I'm sorry too, I'm sorry I didn't believe you.
Stacy: (also with tears) It's okay. So are we good? Can we try and be friends?
Casey: Of course. Goodnight Stacy.
Stacy: Night Case.

Scene 5
(A whole semester has gone by and Casey and Stacy are back to being the best of friends. Almost like nothing had ever happened. Jess enters the dorm room)
Jess: Hi guys! Good news, Casey, I have found you a new room and roommate. If you would like to start packing up everything you may move in tomorrow. I'm sorry it took a semester but rules are rules! I can help you move in tomorrow if you would like. Stacy, I have also found you a replacement roommate. (Stacy and Casey are quietly giggling) What is so funny?
Stacy: Uhm actually, funny story. Casey won't be moving out. We are pretty happy where we are!
Jess: Mhm, really? Last I remember, Casey was almost positive you two were going to kill each other by the end of this semester.
Casey: No Jess, Stacy is right! I want to stay right here. We are both very happy to be each other's roommate. But thank you Jess, for arranging this.
Jess: Really? It took me weeks to try and get you switched into another room, normally we don't let students do this. Are you sure you want to stay here. Once I leave this room there is no changing anything, ever.
Casey: That's fine Jess. Once again thanks for everything but that will be all!
Jess: (dramatically sighing. Then turns to leave while mumbling her herself) Last time I go out of my way to help someone.
Stacy: (laughing at Jess's response) Hey, you want to grab something to eat? Then we can hit the library for some studying?
Casey: Of course!
(The girls leave for lunch and the lights go down. That is the end of Act 2.)


The author's comments:
I had a dream similar to this a few nights ago that inspired me to write this! It is actually a project for my Writing For The Stage class so let me know what you think!