Beautiful Tragedy | Teen Ink

Beautiful Tragedy

December 19, 2013
By shmaleybug BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
shmaleybug BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
2 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything has beauty."


I am awaken by the most annoying noise in the world - my alarm clock. I hit the off button as I sit up and stretch. Walking into the bathroom, I hear my dad arguing on the phone with someone. I open my door and listen.

"What? What am I supposed to do? I need this job; I need the money."

I shut my door and walk into my bathroom. I brush my teeth and wash my face, then pick out an outfit. My mother died a few months ago from a car wreck. It has been hard on our family, especially to my dad. He had to continue being a dad, but now he also had my mom's responsibilities on his shoulders. I have a little brother and a little sister, so he has a lot going on for him.

When I am through getting dressed I walk out into the hallway. "Aliya! Jeremy! Time for breakfast!" My nine-year-old brother and five-year-old sister run out of their rooms, their backpacks barely hanging on to their shoulders. They fight to see who gets to the stairs first, and like always, Jeremy is the winner. I smirk.

"What does everyone want for breakfast?" I ask my dad and siblings.

"Apple Jacks!" My siblings call in unison, then give each other a death glare.

I laugh. "Okay, then. Dad?"

"I'm sorry. I'm not hungry. I have to run. Please make sure your bother and sister don't miss the bus. Wouldn't want them to be late on the first day," he attempts a smile. "Have a good day."

"Wait, Dad, is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything is okay. Why do you ask?"

"I overheard you on the phone."

He closes his eyes and looks as if I wasn't supposed to hear the conversation. "Yes, Em. Everything is okay. Don't worry about it, okay? I've got it all under control."

"Dad please tell me."

"I don't want to ruin your first day. We can talk about it later. Go eat breakfast. Love you."

"Love you too," He leaves out the front door. I really hope nothing bad is going on. When breakfast over, I begin to pick up the dishes. "Hey kiddos, time to go to the bus stop!" They run out the front door. I do not understand why going to school makes them so happy. I despise it.

I wait with them by the street in front of our house until the bus gets here. I wave them off, then go grab a banana, my backpack, and car keys and I am out the door.

I show up at Johnson High School on my first day of senior year, realizing how much I wish summer hadn't ended. I spent most of it in my room and watching movies with my siblings. We all had trouble dealing with my moms death. It brought us closer, though.

"Emilia! How are you? I haven't seen you all summer," my best friend hugs me.

"Hey, Katherine. I'm good. I've just been busy. You?"

"I'm good. I just really missed you. How are you handling things, you know, with your mom?"

"Good. We are managing."

We walk into the school and I see some more of my friends. "Emilia! It's so good to see you," Ally hugs me. "Are you still in dance? You missed all the practices this summer."

"I don't think I'll be in it this year."

"That's too bad. You're good." Ally gives me a sincere smile then leaves.

We watch as new faces and old faces walk past us. The warning bell sounds. Katherine and I exchanged goodbye smiles and leave eachother.

My first period is history, my favorite subject. I walk into class and sit down in the back, hoping no one talks to me. Fortunately, everyone sits with their friends, so I am left alone. My teacher walks in as the bell to sound the beginning of class rings.

"Good morning, class. I'm Mr. Fitz, your history teacher..."

The teacher is interrupted by a student coming into class late. "Excuse me, sorry." He hands the teacher a piece of paper then sits down next to me. He is kinda cute, so it doesn't exactly bother me.

"Hi," he says to me with a very handsome smile.

"Hi."

Mr. Fitz continues, "Yes, anyways, this year we will be learning about the history of the United States."

An hour and a half later, class is over. While putting my stuff back in my bag, I drop my book. I go down to pick it up, and so does the new hot guy. We bump heads. "Ow!" We say in unison. We laugh. He picks up my book and hands it to me.

"I'm Matt."

"I'm Emilia."

"That's a very beautiful name. Sounds very vintage."

"Thank you. My mom told me she always loved the name."

"I like it too," he smiles that gorgeous smile again, and I smile back.

"May I walk you to class, Emilia?"

"You may."

While we are walking I study his features from my side view: broad jaw, perfect nose, great bone structure, muscular arms, broad shoulders. He'd make a great statue, I think.

"Where's your class?"

"It's down at the end of the hall, last door on the left," I say nonchalantly.

We continue down the hallway in silence. I begin to notice the girls staring at him as he passes. By the time we reach my next classroom, I have counted a total of twelve staring girls.

"Well, enjoy your science class. I've got to go to math," he begins to walk away, but stops and turns to me again, "May I meet up with you again for lunch?"
I smile. "Yes."

He replies with that handsome smile, "Great. I'll see you then, Emilia." He walks away and my heart and stomach practically fall out of my butt. He's kind, sweet, and a gentlemen. Oh, and gorgeous, yes, very gorgeous, I think. I walk into aquatic science and, once again, take a seat in the back of the class. Throughout the class period, instead of listening to my teacher, Mrs. Jonathan, I think about Matt, replaying my whole morning over and over. The end-of-class bell interrupts my reverie. I gather my belongings and head to the cafeteria. I decide to take a seat outside at a bench table in the schools garden area. I begin eating my salad when I hear a familiar voice-the one I've been day dreaming about.

"Hey, Emilia! How was second period?" He takes a seat across from me.

"It was..." I have no clue how it was. I was busy daydreaming about you. "It was good."

"That's a good. AP Calculus wasn't so bad."

"You're in AP Calculus?"

"Is that such a shock?" He shoots me a playful smile.

I laugh. "No, I just didn't know. I'll be in that class next semester. I'll be able to help you." There's that smile again. I return it.

My phone vibrates. It's a text from Katherine, my best friend. "Hey girl. Where are you?"

"Garden," I reply.

"My best friend will be joining us. Is that okay?"

"Of course." A few moments later Katherine takes a seat.

"Who's this?" She's asks almost too loudly.

"This is Matt. Matt, this is Katherine," I gesture toward Katherine.

"Hi Katherine, it's very nice to meet you," he shakes her hand.

"Likewise," she shakes back.

"I've never seen you around here. Did you just transfer here?" I ask, curiosity suddenly stabbing at me.

"Well I've lived in California my whole life, but my dad got a really good job offer here in Seattle, so he took it."

"Wow. Seattle and California are practically opposites," Katherine says. I nod in agreement.

"Yeah I know. I was used to heat and going to the beach, now I have to get used to jackets and groggy weather. But I don't mind," he looks me in the eyes, "I'm really liking it here," he smiles. I blush.

"Have both of you lived here your whole life?"

"Yeah," Katherine replies. "Emilia has been my best friend since we were babies."

"That's really cool. You guys are like sisters," he laughs.

"You could say that," I look at Katherine and smile.

The bell sounds for the end of lunch. While we are picking up our trash, Matt asks, "What is your third period?"

"I have sculpting."

"Me too!"

"Cool," I smile.

"Hey Emilia, I'll call you tonight," Katherine says as she heads to class. She gives me that smile that says she can't wait to talk about all the juicy details of the new California hottie, and I return it.


The author's comments:
This story is part of a bigger, greater story.