Charm | Teen Ink

Charm

By sabsf BRONZE, Setauket, New York
sabsf BRONZE, Setauket, New York

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
-Dr. Seuss

The sun’s rays rest on my eyelids daring me to open them. Such a devil this unwanted star. Slowly appearing over the eastern horizon, luring me into seeing the bright warmth that covers my face, arms and cotton covers. I can’t fight the earth’s alarm clock that alerts me through my bedroom window. My eyes flutter, I am awake. Awake to live another day on the only place I have ever known, my family’s farm.
The house I live in is made of the selected trees that surround our property. My dresser is an oak wood that is worn with vintage knobs. I run to open my window allowing the new autumn breeze to come in. My favorite torn plaid shirt goes over my head just as a gust of wind makes the top swell with cool air. Then I hastily grab my oversized jean shorts and fit them with a chestnut brown belt. Lastly, my tattered leather cowgirl boots jump on my feet as I run downstairs to complete my morning chores.
Heading toward the chicken coop I graze my hand along the place just below my collarbone, to insure my great – grandmother’s necklace still hangs. Today I stop in my tracks and gently pick the heart shape locket. Examining the design incrusted in the gold, reminds me of the day my grandmother gave it to me. I run to the barn where the horses rest. Which was my grandmother’s favorite place to be with her mother, tending to the striking stallions. She always said they brought luck into the world.
I pulled myself onto a white and brown mustang named Prince. We sprint as one, until we reach the forest line. Which is positioned at the border of home and the unexplored. Prince trots through the maze of trees until to my left I see a river filled with crystal blue water. We travel along the creek for a while until I see someone leaning over and touching the restful stream. As we get closer, I make out that it is a boy perhaps around my age with a golden puppy. Just then the figure stands with the retriever cuddled into his arm. I feel his eyes watch us as we join him. For a second there is pure silence except the water rolling over the rocks and quiet rustling in the trees above. In that second, I find myself searching into his green eyes. They are deeper than the color of moss that grows only on the north side of trees.
“Hi there,” he said with a grin breaking the silence. I kept staring while stroking the smooth, brushed mane of Prince.
“Hi,” I drawled. There goes my extreme accent I thought. With that I knew I was blushing, I felt like all of my body heat went to my cheeks.
“What are you planning on doing in these woods?” he questioned.
While laughing I exclaimed, “Just riding my horse!” I find my necklace and twist my fingers through the chain.
“I see,” he flirts.
I got down from Prince, and face this stranger at eye level. His plain white shirt and blue jeans were painted with paw prints. I tied up Prince with some rope around a maple tree. We sat down and started talking. I was learning all about his life and he was learning all about mine, it seemed like we were talking for years. Then he said, “There is a mountain up ahead if you follow this stream; do you care to join me.”
“Of course I would love to!”, I said with excitement.
We both rode on Prince together guided by the river. Sleeping in my arms was the puppy. Before long we got to the top of the mountain. I jumped off the horse with the golden dog and jogged to the edge.
The fields were vast with the greenest grass. Homes and barns were all different sizes. I saw a windmill by a small lake. The lake had a tire swing where I saw a little girl leap into the lake with no fear. I feel him come next to me. Tingles trickle down my spine. And I smile. The sun is creeping below the forest line in the distance.
All day there was a clear blue sky. Now in the infinite atmosphere are colors of orange and lilac. The lingering clouds consist of hot pink, which are slowly spreading through the sky becoming lighter. The remaining light is hitting all of the trees and fences of the area, making them glow.
I look at the sun leaving and find my necklace that my grandmother gave me. Holding it tight I realize that I love life. I love how everyday life charms you into experiencing something new.
I take a long blink as the sun waltzes its last dance around me. One will find me standing in a place I have never been before.

In school we had to select an adjective and write a whole story with this one word in mind. My word was charm.