I told You So | Teen Ink

I told You So

By 0425-G BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
0425-G BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

On the side of the road, waiting for the tap on my window.
As I sit tight, tapping my finger one by one on the steering wheel. Where is he? It’s been like seven minutes… He finally arrived at my window with blood dripping down his forehead, moaning and groaning at me. I asked him if he was all right and he just stared at me, not even a blink from his eye. He grabbed me, with his cold bruised skin; thrashing me around through my car window. I turned the car on and slapped the gas and drove off. I started to panic. Hyperventilating, I could not control it. I was so appalled at the fact that a police officer tried to kill me, now that I think about it, it almost felt like he was trying to eat me!

I started to zone out, and nearly ran my car off the expressway. I quickly swerved so I did not ram my front end into the guard rail. I looked off to the distance and cars were piled high to the sky, people running around outside of their cars. Screaming and other people were chasing them as if they were their prey. I have never seen anything like it before; I just could not believe my eyes. Maybe that explains the officer and his skin color and how cold he was… Maybe he is a zombie! I just kept driving through slowly; not wanting to draw too much attention to myself; I might not make it out if I do. I looked around and it was like I was a bystander in a survival game, only the best will win. Screaming, running, and fires galore all around me. I did not like the thought that I was just leaving all of these people to just die, be eaten or become a zombie or what ever they were, but I could not stop; I have kids and a husband at home waiting for me to arrive. I just hope they know what is going on. My survival instincts kicked in and I punched the gas and I got out of that area as fast as I could. I hopped off the expressway and took the back roads home, hoping there was not going to be any trouble. My phone started to ring, but I could not find it anywhere; it was my husbands ring tone, the first song we danced to when we met. I stared to bawl like a little baby, because I did not want to face the fact that this all could be over; my life, my family everything that means something to me. I just kept trying to make it home but I needed wind shield wiper for my eyes, the tears were streaming down my face faster than you could say family.

I finally made it home and every house on our street was shut down completely. They must have heard about the expressway problem. I busted the door open and ran inside to our house because nobody was coming to the door.

I screamed through the house “Andrew, Anna, Brendan! Please come out its okay, there’s nothing to be worried about. Please, please, please I need you guys!” Maybe they already got eaten or maybe help came and got them… Just stay strong, we will make it through this.

I ran out the door into my car, to try and find some shelter, and most importantly find my family. I could hardly see with the smog in front. I put my window down and then quickly back up because of the smell of rotting flesh up and down the streets, and the heat was so bad from all of the fires that had been started from all the mayhem back near the expressway. All I thought about was how this all started, where it came from, who first had it, where my family was and if they were safe. Did the government have part in this or some terrorist involved trying to sabotage us? I started to bawl again as I was slowly driving down the road, I could not help it, it was uncontrollable, my emotions have officially taken over my body. I had no choice but to just give them what they wanted, my tears.

I went to my mother -in-laws house assuming that is where they all would be, hiding in her basement that smelled of cookies, under the stair case. I chuckled at how worried I was earlier, now knowing that they are probably fine, all together worrying about me, out there all by myself. I pulled in her driveway and looked for the porch light to be turned on. But it wasn’t. I bet that they just did not want all of those zombies to come and find them. I sprinted up her few steps that led to her door and rang the doorbell, no answer not even a peep from the house. So I kept ringing it until I had a major finger cramp. I tried to just bust down the door, but it felt nearly impossible to do so. So I tried to get in her back door, but it was already open, no lock on the door, no nothing. Then my heart started to race again, my adrenalin started to pump through me like no other. I sat down for a brief second, and took a few deep breaths, in through the nose out through the mouth. After I got myself under control I tried to find some paper and a pen to write a note for my family to see. Hopefully my family will get this and they will know to call me soon. I set the note on the kitchen table trying not to weep as I walked out.

Is everyone gone now, is it just me left in this lonely world? I
jumped into my car, and drove off until I could not see straight anymore. So I stopped at a grocery store that was filled with people, and assuming no zombies because of how populated it was. I turned the car off and locked the doors so fast, faster than you could blink and I was on my way in for some food, batteries, medicine, and loads of water. There were people running every which way, grabbing anything they could get their hands on. I for one just wanted the essentials. I ran to the fruit and veggies, but there was nothing left but horribly bruised items, so I moved the next isle that had quick easy food that I could make in my car, because I was not going to depend on a house to stay at. I found some box crackers and chips, and some insta potatoes that only require water; I also found some protein shakes and some whole fruit juices that were good for you. I just started to grab what ever food I could find that’s how empty it was in that grocery store. I ran to the batteries and grabbed what ever they had left which were AA, AAA and D’s; there were fortunately some flashlights on the floor close to the batteries. Next on my list was water. I could not find cases of water anywhere, I went to the back room and I found a few cases stacked by the back left corner of the ware house. I grabbed as many as my arms could hold, and I bolted for the back door leading to my car. I literally threw everything into my trunk, didn’t care what it was it all got piled into my little Pontiac Vibe. With people coming towards me from out of the stores, as I was driving off, trying to smash my windows for the groceries I had just gotten; there were people screaming, and shoving each other practically on my car, I didn’t know what to do so I just kept driving. Gosh, I understand that these are desperate times but really come on!

I was about thirty miles out of town with no one in site, no worries; It almost felt like all of my problems had went away, like there were no zombies, my family was at home, and people did not try to steal my groceries out of my car. But that happiness soon went right out the back door; I see a glowing hue up ahead through the trees. I start to slow down and look out for anyone. Nobody so far, I think I wi-, mid- thought I was hit with something, spinning my car around and around. When my head was clear enough to see, I got out of my car to see what it was; it was a half eaten deer, it looked like it went through the shredder; torn limbs, patches of fur missing here and there, it was a huge mess. I turned around to where it came from, and the glow was still there. I stared to panic, I did not want to be eaten or killed but what ever did that to the deer that just hurdled at my car. I just wanted to get through, so I continued down the road that lead to that glowing hue. I closed my eyes not wanting to see the result of up ahead, slowly creeping up the road, finally making it to the problem. No one was there, nothing except for a fire that was starting to die down. I just curved along beside the fire until I was past it. Now back to the journey to where ever I end up making it too.

On the road now for like seven hours, driving aimlessly. No destination just trying to make it through this. It was two o’clock in the morning and I still have not heard from my family. I turned the car radio on to here if there were any news about this outrage. There was nothing except for an emergency warning from the president, stating that we stay calm and take shelter, and if we can make it to water, like a boat, we should. I don’t know why but that is all of what he said. I now am making it my goal to make it to water, and maybe someone can help me out of here. Hopefully they are already at the water, knowing that I would get the message on the radio. My hopes were back up and I had something to keep striving for. I was almost to the shores of Florida and I could taste the sensation of freedom and no worries up ahead. Too bad that when I stopped, a heard of zombies came out of nowhere and started to beat on my car. I tried to just speed off but my car overheated. I now know that my life is over. And I can’t believe that the last thing that I’ll see are, zombies. I wanted to get out of my car to draw them away, so that my car would not get destroyed from them trying to get to me. My heart was racing, and I could hardly feel my legs, I have no idea how I am going to get out of this car. With one leap of courage, I climbed out my passenger door to draw them away. I started to jump and wave my arms in the wind trying to grab their attention. For things that are dead, they sure can walk fast. One came up behind me and wrapped its dead frozen hands around my mid section. I just started to do anything I could to get away. I started to fight for my life, swatting, punching, and kicking. I eventually got away from them, and I got back to my car that was about fifty meters away. I got in and locked the doors, switched the key on and I was off to the shores.

I’m here finally here. I looked for my family expecting them to be here. I parked my car, and found someone who was in charge of the ships. I asked one of them how this works, do I give them money or is it just out of kindness? I was told that all I had to do was give a donation of food or water; of which I had plenty. I boarded the ship with my few belongings and looked for my husband. I found my cell phone in the car, so I tried to call him on the ship. I herd my ring tone for his phone, and I followed the hum of relief. He was sleeping with his mom and the kids in one of the makeshift-cots in one of the rooms on the ship. I tapped him so he would wake. He jolted up in shock, and rubbed his eyes, not believing that I am here and safe. He gave me a big bear hug, he did not let go until I did first. He then woke the kids so I could see them, I was so happy I started to cry, so did my kids and they very rarely do so. I knew that this would all be over soon and they would take care of the apocalypse.

I then got a flash like of the future. And it showed my family and I off the ship and they got us, the zombies did. And none of us made it through it, including several others who got escorted the ship. My heart started to race, and my body went numb. Nothing mattered anymore because I knew it was all over soon.

“Wow now that was some story Mrs. Malin, now how did you feel when you had this dream?” said the good for nothing doctor.

“No, I told you, it wasn’t a dream it’s going to come true it was a glimpse of the future, I’m telling you. We have to get out of here, now!”

“Mrs. Malin, do you remember where you are at, at this moment?”

“Well of course I do, I’m in this crazy hospital, but I’m not crazy, you’re wasting your time with me.”

“Do you remember how you got here?”

“Yes, now stop asking me these stupid questions.”

“Just answer my question…”

“My husband drove me here, because he was concerned about my dreams and how persistent I am about them.”

“Thank you. Now why do you think that this “dream” is going to come true?”

“I don’t know I just do. I've had more simple dreams that have come true before and I would get this distinct feeling when I get them, and this is one of them.”

“Okay now this feeling you claim to have, how does it feel?”

Before I could spit out another word, their sirens went off and gates came down to secure the building. There was a deep pounding on the other side soon as they fell. I looked over at the psychiatrist and I mouthed “They’re here” to him. And he gave me the most appalled face I have ever seen before. Dozens of doctors rushing around and patients just crying with fear. I just sat there for one and watched the crazies go crazy. I knew it was all over.