Ice cold | Teen Ink

Ice cold

By Sadieee BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Sadieee BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan

I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as heck don't deserve me at my best.
~Marilyn Monroe

The sun was setting over the horizon of Fairbanks, Alaska. Maggie and Trey got out of their dads silver ford F-150 near there log cabin only to hear the shouts and howls of their own dog Cooper. Maggie ran up to the house and twisted the key opening the door. The HUGE Bernice mountain dog jumped up and trampled Maggie into the cold winter’s snow.
“Hey boy!” -Maggie yelled
Cooper sat there looking at her licking her face in joy.
“Maggie get your bag”-Trey yelled by the back of his dads truck.
His dad came around the back side.
“You guys had a good game today you really played hard”-Said his dad.
“You had an assist!”- Maggie added climbing up the GIANT piles of snow in her warm fuzzy UGG boots.
“Maggie Rae you got a goal”-Trey yelled.
“So”-Maggie said with sass
“Come get your bag princess”- Trey said in a mocking tone
“I’m coming, I’m coming, and don’t call me that!”-Maggie yelled
Trey grabbed his hockey bag and Maggie grabbed hers. Cooper fallowed Maggie as content as could be into the garage where they hung there gear. There dad shut the trunk and walked jingling his keys in his hand.
“Dad do you think we can go by the rink to practice tomorrow?”-asked Maggie
“I don’t know Mags” -he responded.
Maggie woke up early and put on her jeans and bright red sweater grabbed her cream colored scarf and ran out the door down the wooden stairs as fast as possible.
“Dad, dad, dad!!!!!”-Maggie yelled, her bright blonde curls bouncing with her down the stairs.
Her smile as white as snow, covering her face from ear to ear.
Trey looked around to see what was going on.
“Maggie!?”-Trey said.
Where’s Dad?!?-She yelled
“What is there a mouse in your room”-Trey said while laughing.“Ha, ha, ha if there were a mouse in my room id be walking to the garage to get a bucket, trap it, and set it outside in the snow”-Maggie said calmly “Never mind”-Trey said why are you so excited anyway?” “You’ll never guess!”-Responded Maggie anxiously
“Ok what is it?” -Said trey
“No! Guess” –Said Maggie
“Fine ummm? You got a new straightener?
“NO!”-Said Maggie
“Just tell me already!”-said Trey
“Ok!”-Exclaimed Maggie” “The Nannoks are coming home to play a game!”
“Maggie they do that a lot”-said Trey
“No but this game is special”-Exclaimed Maggie
“Why?”-Trey asked
“It’s on my birthday and you know who’s on that team!”-Said Maggie
“No idea”- Said Trey
“Nolan Huysmans” Maggie said with a face that could make anyone curl up in a ball and cry in a state of guilt.

Trey and carter rushed down the stairs like a monster was attacking them. The boys shot past Maggie like a slap shot
“Hey Mags”-Said Trey
“Hey Maggie”-Carter said
Carter has been Trey best friend science the boys were four and they are inseparable.
Carter’s eyes twinkled a stunning gray color and his dark brown hair that was gelled up in the front.
“What’s up Carter?!”- Maggie yelled from the kitchen
She grabbed three cherry cokes out of the fridge and timed exactly throwing two of the cans up as they hurled down to earth. The boys walked in the kitchen as they perfectly grabbed the cherry cokes out of the air.
Hey I haven’t seen dad yet today like I asked earlier?-Maggie added
“Oh yeah”-said carter “I saw your dad at the rink earlier he told me to tell you that he’s fine”
Maggie paused.
“What was he doing there?”-Maggie asked calmly
“I don’t know all he told me was he was in town to get some spare parts for his truck”-Said Carter
There was moment of silence.
“Anyway…”-Trey added to the awkward silence
My goodness! Did you hear the Nannoks are in town on Maggie’s birthday!-Carter yelled
Trey put his hands over his ears as fast as possible and suddenly Maggie’s face had a huge smile as she was jumping up and down squealing like she does at the shoe store.
“Ouch!”-Carter exclaimed covering his ears
“I know right im so exited!”-Maggie yelled
“Im guessing your trying to get tickets”-Said Carter trying to make his ears work again
Maggie’s jaw dropped.
“Are you serious? Duh!”-Maggie yelled
“Umm yeah sorry bad question?”-Said Carter
“Of course it was”- Trey said in a sarcastic tone
Carter fallowed him into the living room they turned on the TV to ESPN.
“OHHHH!!!!!”-The boys yelled simultaneously
“What, what, what!”-Maggie Yelled as she walked over in her red Toms.
“Look at Nolan Huysmans goal from last night in Denver!”-Carter said
It was a slap shot from about the blue line into the top right corner of the goal.
“Yes!”-Maggie yelled
They ran around the house like screaming diseased cow donkeys.
There dad ran in and screamed
“Who’s hurt? How bad? First Aid kit or ambulance?!”
We all stopped and laughed. He just stood there and smiled.
All right want to go to the rink?-There dad said
“Yes!” we all screamed

They loaded there bags into the truck and Maggie hopped in the front while Trey and Carter got in the back seat. There dad came out of the house and around the backside of the truck
“New bag Carter?-Our dad asked
“Yes sir” Carter responded
“Looks nice”-dad said as he shut the trunk
“Thank you sir got it for my birthday”-Carter said
Dad hopped in the driver’s side and off we went. We got to the rink and pulled in to our regular parking spot. We all noticed the big charter bus pulled up to the front of the rink. Maggie screamed.
“Daddy it’s them!”-She squealed
“Mags hold off the screaming please”-Trey said
Maggie jumped out of the car as fast as she could opened the trunk and grabbed her bag. She ran inside dodging thin black ice and ran through the doors.
Carter and Trey yelled trying to catch up to her running inside to find Maggie with her bag on the ground jaw dropped and all eyes on the rink watching the twenty six players and nine coaches of the Alaskan Nannoks hockey team. Carter and Trey joined her. Trey grabbed his and Maggie’s bag as Carter grabbed his and grabbed Maggie’s hand to pull her up to the glass.
There dad walked in and started talking to the manager our good family friend Mr. Joseph Van Winkler after a while our dad came up to us.
“Alright kiddos scrimmage rink”-Dad said
They grabbed their gear and merrily walked into the locker room.
Maggie was speechless.
They were already. They hopped on the freshly resurfaced ice and skated around a little.
“Alright two on two”-Said dad
Carter and Trey automatically linked up.
“Alright me and dad you and Carter”-Maggie said
Since Maggie got dad Trey started with the puck, Trey passed it to Carter and Carter back to Trey. Maggie came along the backside and legally checked Trey. Trey fell on the ice and curled up.
“Oh great!”-Maggie yelled
His dad skated over and felt treys left arm
“Aright sorry Carter this is going to have to end really, really early”-Said their dad
That’s ok sir-Said carter
Maggie and Carter went into the locker room.
Maggie was completely quiet and was done when Carter was still untying his skates.
“Maggie?”-Carter asked
“What!”-Maggie said
“It’s not your fault”-Said Carter
Maggie sighed
“I don’t want to talk”-Said Maggie
“Maggie!”-Carter yelled
This is rare because carter doesn’t normally yell he’s more of a quiet person.
“What!”-Maggie yelled
“Let’s go”- Surprisingly Carter was done
We walked out to see our dad and Trey gone.
“Um”-Was all Carter and Maggie could manage to say?
Maggie thought it was a dream but carter knew it was real when Mr. Dallas Ferguson the head coach of the Nannoks came up to us.
“Alright children…What do you do for fun?”-He said
Carter and Maggie both looked at each other and both responded with
“Hockey”
“That’s what I like to hear”- Said Mr. Ferguson
“Got your skates and helmet?”-asked Mr. Ferguson
“Of course sir we both do”-Carter said.
Carter and Maggie went in the locker room
“EEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!-Maggie screamed
We left our regular clothes on our skates and helmets we also put our warm-up jacket over our t-shirts
We went out on the ice and started skating Maggie was so excited she was speechless she hugged Carter.
“This is amazing!”-She said
They skated for another hour or so doing drills and shooting
When Maggie’s dad came in.
“See you later kids”-Said Mr. Ferguson
“Thank you so much sir!”-Maggie and carter both said
He shook their hands and went back to practice.
Maggie and Carter went to the locker room and grabbed their stuff as well as Treys empty bag because he had took all his gear to the ER with him.
Maggie ran out and hugged her dad
“Thank you, thank you, and thank you!”-she ran screaming
“You’re welcome!”-said her dad
“Thank you so much sir”-Carter said hugging our dad which wasn’t wired considering he was like my other brother.
Maggie looked around.
“What’s wrong Mags?-Her dad asked
“Where’s Trey”-She asked
“At the hospital with Cameron”-he said
Cameron being my older, older brother who’s twenty one and is normally at college unless something’s wrong or it’s an important holiday.
“What did I do?”-She asked
“Maggie its nothing”-He said “just a small fracture on the left wrist he just has to wear a cast for a few months”
They walked out and put their bags in the trunk
“Are you staying the night Carter?”-Said their dad
“If it’s alright with you sir”-Said Carter
“Of course kiddo”-He said
We hopped in the truck of course I hopped in the back with carter because otherwise it would just be rude.
“It’s a long trip to the hospital”- he told us
Maggie looked around grabbed a mad libs book out of the seat pocket
“Noun”-Maggie said
“Maggie”-Carter laughed
“Ok”-said Maggie “verb”
“Sleep”-carter chuckled
30 minutes later
We got out of the car and entered the hospital
“Trey?”-Dad said quietly
“What’s up daddy-o?”-was of course Treys response
He took a foam basketball and shot it at the plastic basketball hoop hung on the wall as Cameron dunked it in
“Sup chica!”-said Cameron
I ran up and hugged him. Trey passed carter the foam basketball and he shot it from the door as it swooshed through the hoop.
Three pointer!-Trey yelled
Carter ran and jumped on Cameron.
“Carter!”-Cameron said

As we checked Trey out of the hospital Maggie grabbed a sharpie out of the nurses pen mug and signed Maggie with a heart around it.On his cast right in the middle she gave it to
Carter and he signed his name and he gave it to Cameron who signed his name right on the bottom. We got home and dad said he would put the bags away. Carter grabbed Maggie’s arm and pulled her inside.
“What?”-Maggie said
“Look”-Said Carter
He pulled three Nannoks tickets out of his back pocket and put them in Maggie’s hand
“Surprise”-he said
Maggie looked at the tickets November 6th front row behind the opposing team’s net first row.
“Oh my gosh!”-Maggie said
She wrapped her arms around Carter.
“Thank you, thank you, and thank you!”-she yelled
“Ok I may have broken my arm but im not deaf”-Said Trey “what’s going on over here?”
Look, look, look!”-Maggie yelled shoving the tickets in Trey’s face, “A ticket for me a ticket for you and a ticket for Carter!”
“We’re going to have so much fun!”-Maggie said as she merrily strolled into the house.
“Dude how did you get these”-Trey said
“Bro secrets”-Said Carter
“Mmmhm”-Said Trey sarcastically
As the boys walked in they saw Maggie as excited as ever! She ran up and hugged Carter again. And then hugged cooper several times.
“I hope you know this is one of the best birthday presents I have ever gotten!”-Maggie said quietly “Thanks carter”.
“Come on bro”-Trey yelled
“See ya Maggie”-Carter exclaimed as he ran off with Trey to Trey’s not so secret, secret hideout.
A loud ringing sound went off as Maggie wondered of into the kitchen. Carters new IPhone 4gs was going off Maggie glanced at the phone to see that it was his mom. As Maggie wondered in her mind do I pick it up? Or do I call down Carter? Maggie knowing she didn’t have enough time she picked up the phone.
“Hello Carter’s phone this is Maggie”-She said in a bright bubbly voice.
“Hi Maggie”-Said Mrs. Jacobs (Carter’s mom)
“Im so sorry to bother you like this but im stuck out of town and all the airports are closed because there’s a ginormous storm headed my way you wouldn’t mind taking care of carter for a few weeks would you?”.
“Not at all Maggie exclaimed is the storm really that bad?”
“Umm yes sweetie I’ll talk to you soon bye” – Mrs. Jacobs voice said urging to get off the phone.
Carter and Trey bounced down the stairs.
“Hey Mags have you seen Carters Phone?”-Said Trey.
“Oh uh yeah here’s your phone oh and your mom called you’ll be staying here for a few more weeks” –Said Maggie calmly.
“What for?”-Said Carter reaching for his phone.
“Just caught in a storm that’s all no biggy”-Said Maggie handing carter his phone
“Ok, bye Mags”-Said carter. Trey and Carter left the kitchen and watched ESPN on 48in” LG HD TV hanging above the living room fire place.
The home phone went of BBBBRRRRRIIIIINNNNGGGG!
“I got it”-Yelled Maggie
“Maggie what do you want”-she said
“Hey this is Tyler are Trey and Carter there?”
Maggie’s orange Fanta she was drinking flew across the room as it sprayed out of her mouth and hit Trey and Carter in the back of the head.

This piece is one I'm working on its not perfect but as anything I'll get there,or close enough.